V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and girls,
I need some help. I am living in Germany working for the Army and own a 2000 Road King Classic. I am planning to do the ride home to Milwaukee next year but do not have a radio. The RoadKing Classic doesn't come with one and I do not want to ad one but I would like to listen to the radio (not cassette/MD/MP3) on the 1300 mile trip.
Is there a portable (Walkman) type radio out there that keeps a good signal so I can listen and not have to tune in a new station every little while (saftey concern)? If it has other features like MP3 or something, that's ok but I want it primarily for the radio.
Thanks. Open for suggestions.
Jim

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
If youVe got some cash it's hard to beat xmradio but I don't think there is portable unit available yet.

Other than that any sony walkman will work fine if you want radio. Check this one out: This arm band walkman may be convienient for riders, no matter what you buy you should consider these headphones they'll tuck comfortably under your helmet.

If you want to do MP3 you can download a truck load of music to it, and not have to worry about getting stuck with only country music around. May want to check out this all-in-one unit the mp3 shopping site is handy as well. I believe this unit is on sale at amazon

Well that's a start. I'm not one to listen to the radio on my bike, so I can't help you first hand, I'm sure someone on this site will be able to give you some more ideas.

The only problem I see for you will be while riding along the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean (Germany to Milwaukee right ?) I mean where do you stop for gas? Drive safe.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To be honest there isnt a walkman in existence that gets great radio reception. There is a portable XM radio, its from Sony, however it still requires some basics, you have to install the antenna on a hard flat metal surface and therefore may not work anyway because the antenna is magnetic but it uses the entire surface it attatched to like a satelight dish receiver, and you would need an existing stereo to plug it into since this xm radio doesnt have a built in amplifier.

I have to agree with DJW, just get a decent portable CD Walkman with MP3 capabilities, and buy a cd burner if you dont have one for the computer already and make yourself some MP3 discs for traveling. You can put a couple hundred MP3's on a single disc depending on there size and youd be good for miles with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts