V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blue/green HD Radical Paint Set (#40 of 200) finally arrived this week, and I installed it on the bike today. It only took me 1.5 hours to switch out the stock air box cover, front & rear fenders and louvered side covers. (The dealer quoted me 2.5 hrs for them to do it.) :rolleyes:

The paint looks so different from anodized silver I thought I was riding a new V-Rod. I really enjoy the color, and I still have the original anodized parts so I can always go back to stock. I purchased the set for 20% off, so I got it for a fair price. The quality is excellent; the candy flames shimmer in the sunlight; and the base changes color from dark blue to dark green depending on light & viewing angle. It also has a silver HD 100th Anniv logo next to the hand-painted number.

The only strange thing is the louvered side covers look more green (from any angle) than the other parts, especially when viewed from the front. Not sure what Harley was thinking with that, but they included green & blue touch-up paint bottles, so I might purchase additional side covers for a repaint.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to take the big, ugly cupholder off for the pictures... It doesn't look nice, but it comes in handy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Example of louvered side covers appearing more green than other parts in the paint set.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
g-rod,

You got it going on with that new paint!!! Much better! And I see second v-rod in the background...what's it's story?

A cup holder on a v-rod?:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cup holder on a V-Rod...:eek: ...yes, I'm embarrassed to admit it. I didn't think about removing it until the pictures were already done. I know it doesn't look good, but it's convenient. I still have more chrome items (calipers, triple tree, cylinder kit, etc) to be installed by a dealer, so the pictures taken after that work will not have the cupholder.

second v-rod is my wife's 03 two-tone.....she was the photographer, so naturally she wanted her bike in the background.

·
Registered
201 Posts
G-rod, looks great. We need to get together for a ride soon! Where did that chrome duck bill (on your head light) come with? Did it come with any of your windshields?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks vrsc. Yeah hopefully I won't be sick this time. I got a duck bill with the Sport Deflector and the Super Sport Windshield, like the windshield you got in the Anniv. Package. Didn't yours come with it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
g-rod:

I was pleased to see that I'm not the only one with a cup holder. I mounted mine using the RAM mounts. For touring I also use the RAM mounts for a GPS and 2-way radio.

Your bike looks GREAT!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jim, just called me yesterday. I will have it installed next week, but I not sure how long the SS wind shield will stay on. I will have to see how it looks and performs. Hope things are weel and have a safe new year!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
g-rod: This is the best paint job I've seen on the V-Rod. I'm glad to see it is HD. Did you buy it from a dealership?

As for the cupholder, I fully understand the convenience thing. I will have one on my Vrod soon.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
67 Posts
g-rod,

Great looking paint job and it is cool that you did the work. What foot rests are you using. They look like HD, but the dealer said they would not fit? If they are HD, I cant' wait to show the picture to him.

Thanks,

BZ

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks tbag, LiquidSilver, curtjn & Mr. Z

LiquidSilver: What are RAM mounts? I like the GPS/radio idea.

curtjn: Yes it's from a dealership. (P/N: 95700-03BHC) Three dealers in my area all got a set in the last 2 weeks. The same design is also available in candy red & scarlet (95700-03BHD). I bet it looks great too, but I haven't found any dealers around here who have it. They all ordered the blue/green set. H-D.com only shows a picture of the red airbox cover and not the whole set on a bike. Apparently the red set was popular because it went on lottery (over 200 dealers submitted orders by the 10/25/02 deadline), while the blue set didn't need a lottery (less than 200 initial orders). Because of that, my dealer got to order a second blue set.

Mr. Z: see next page

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr. Z said:
it is cool that you did the work. What foot rests are you using. They look like HD, but the dealer said they would not fit?
The foot rests are definitely HD. My dealer also told me they would not work, but I had seen them on another V-Rod. I'm using the 'Rider Footpeg Heel Rests for Mid-Controls' (50236-01), but HD also has a 'Rider Footpeg Heel Rests for Forward Controls' (50227-01) that might work. On the ends, I have the 'Slotted Chrome and Rubber Heel Rest Peg Kit' (50288-02).

About the work....it's not hard at all. Turn and pull out the 'stud bail head' to remove the airbox cover and then transfer the two rubber bumpers to the new cover. There's one screw and two rubber mounts for each of the louvered side covers and eight screws (four on top, four on side) for the front fender. Rear fender is the hardest, but it's just a cover and not the entire fender itself, so it's not too bad. Remove the passenger seat, fender base plate (if present) and pop out the taillight assembly. Then unfasten some more screws & washers to pull off the rear fender cover and replace with new cover. I looked at the diagrams in the Parts Catalog (99457-03 or 99457-02A) and that helped. (p. 110-111 airbox cover and side covers, p. 84-85 front fender, p. 86-87 rear fender)

The cool thing about the V-Rod and paint sets is that they're so easy to change. You can get a different set and it's like having a new bike. You can put different sets on other Harleys, but switching out their gas tank is a lot harder than switching the v-rod's air box cover.

·
Registered
26 Posts
g-rod,
you have a great bike. Would you let me know how much it costs you to purchase a new set of tank, front and rear fender and air cover? Do you think I could purchase just plain unpainted, so I could have them custom painted by some local artist? Thanks
Jonathan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
joguna: The Radical Paint set from HD is $2599 msrp. My dealer was nice enough to let me purchase it on a 20% off sale day (several weeks before it arrived).

Yes, you can order a new set of unpainted parts. Many months ago I inquired about it, and I think the price was between $850-1000. Several others in this forum have done custom paint from a local artist, which turned out great. Look through threads from the last 60+ days and you'll find their pictures.

If you want to get the exact price for the parts, call a dealer with these part #'s from the 2002 VRSCA Parts Catalog (~page #'s for reference):
66067-01 Cover, air box ~p.111
59016-01 Fender, front ~p.85
59028-01 Fender Rear, outer ~p.87
66102-01 Sidecover, front-right ~p.111
66114-01 Sidecover, front-left ~p.111
The parts below aren't painted on the HD set, but many people have also gotten these done on a custom paint job:
66144-01 Radiator, trim cover-left ~p.111
66145-01 Radiator, trim cover-right ~p.111
46095-01 Cover handlebar, bottom ~p.99
46096-01 Cover handlebar, top ~p.99
68942-01 Headlight Bucket ~p.83
I took the part numbers from the 02 Parts Catalog since they will work with either model year, if you're getting them repainted. [Some of the 03 part #'s only work with 03 bikes because they are 'restricted sale parts', according to the catalog. If you have a 2003 V-Rod, you would need part #'s from the 03 Catalog, if you wanted a replacement part with the original finish matching your bike.]

·
Registered
26 Posts
g-rod,
Thanks a lot for your informations. I have a 2002 anno alum, so your info is perfect for me. I like the original look until I saw what you did to yours, but wish to keep the original just in case I want to switch back. Anyway, have a great new year's eve ..
Jonathan

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love the look! I guess the trick is to find any of the 200 limited editions, and then get 20% off. If anyone knows of the availability, and pricing, kindly post on this forum. bruce

1 - 20 of 96 Posts