V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked to the Metzeler rep yesterday. He says the stock HD tires are bias belted tires (not bias ply).
Three types of tires - bias belted, bias ply & radial.

Funny thing is, none of the local stealers I called knew what type of tires come on an HD!

The Metzler radial (170/60 17) has a load rating for 783 pounds for the rear tire. Now if I understand right, you combine the front & rear to determine the overall load rating (not sure how that's calculated cause I'm sure you can't just add the 2). So, I assume the Metzeler radial is sufficient for 2 up riding w/a little luggage???

Can anyone confirm that this is not too low of a load rating for me? I think it'll be fine.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
No facts from me, just opinion...

I run Metzlers and really like them. I do worry about the load rating to some extent because I have read many times on this forum that the load rating is not sufficient for my Ultra when the ol's on board.

Doing the math in my head I have to agree. Just for rough figures lets say you get 800 lbs rating (I know I'm err'ing in the wrong direction). The bike weighs 'round 800 but can't just divide in two due to rear weight bias on the bike. Say there is 500 on the back to start. Add 200 for me and 150 for the ol. 500+200+150=850. And that's with no gear. Oh Oh. I assume there is a margin of safety built into any DOT tire rating but I also realize many of you will say I am taking a stupid risk. Say what you will, I don't promote ignorance. The ol knows the risk we take too.

At any rate, better keep the tire pressure at the rated max for this trip. Heat is the most common culprit with tire failure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a Deuce weighs about 630 pounds. The back tire is rated for 783 pounds. Then how ever you add the front tire for the overall rating.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Oh jeeze, I didn't even notice we were talking about a Deuce.

No issues on that set up for sure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
04FXSTDI said:
Talked to the Metzeler rep yesterday. He says the stock HD tires are bias belted tires (not bias ply).
Three types of tires - bias belted, bias ply & radial.

Funny thing is, none of the local stealers I called knew what type of tires come on an HD!

The Metzler radial (170/60 17) has a load rating for 783 pounds for the rear tire. Now if I understand right, you combine the front & rear to determine the overall load rating (not sure how that's calculated cause I'm sure you can't just add the 2). So, I assume the Metzeler radial is sufficient for 2 up riding w/a little luggage???

Can anyone confirm that this is not too low of a load rating for me? I think it'll be fine.
I think the three types are.... Radial, Bias Belted, and Cross Ply. I also seem to remember there is a fourth type which is pretty much obsolete now, but my age and the single malt prevent me from remembering with any clarity:yikes:

Radials being the most common on cars, and lighter bikes, cross ply for heavy vehicles and often found on military spec vehicles, and the BB which I think are suitable for the touring Harleys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts