V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, do any of you interstate travelers use a radar detector on your bikes? I bought a little whistler 1730 which is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. We're not talking about a lot of money here but I was wondering if the electronics would hold up to the increased vibration and jolting compared to a car.
It's not that I regularly exceed the speed limit but on the interstates I think you all know how the traffic flows. Strategic positioning often requires a little common sense to keep from being in a position that you don't want to be in. I at least like to have a little warning so I can be on my best behavior. I guess it's getting harder to know for sure with the sophisticated instant on radar and laser but for $38.00 I thought it may help ease my mind.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm not sold on them. Out west professional LE like DPS, CHP and State Police generally will give a rider every break, unless they ride stupid. I don't see how a detector would help much with the local rookies.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Mounting

How are you going to mount that radar detector? And where?

I have a Valentine1 that I roll with on the C5 and I sure would love to use it on the HD for long runs.

Has saved me about a dozen times at least. I imagine that you have some sort of handlebar mounting clips?

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DP, I'm sure that each bike would present it's own challenge as far as where and how to mount. My bike has what I think is an ideal spot. On the bottom of the speedo and tach bracket there is a lipped edge on the front bottom side. If I fabricated a little "L" bracket to attatch there I could see the lights through the space between the tach/speedo and the detector would be nessled up underneath and look almost hidden. Anyway, I was interested in knowing if the electronics would hold up to the extra jarring of a motorcycle before I went through all the trouble.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just in case your interested, K-40 makes a detector specifically for motorcycles. The sensors and everything is in the mirrors and if I remember the light unit attaches to the handlebars. They usually pay any tickets with thier systems if you get a ticket.
Dave I saw the setup at Cooper Tire on 63rd and the Northeast Expressway if you are interested. I also use the Valentine in my Bimmers. I don't think it would work on the bike though. Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The Ironbutt guys mount GPS's and radar detectors to their bikes. If you go HERE and click on the GPS or navigation page they show some options, including the RAM mounts that allow mounting to fairings and/or handlebars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts