V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

maybe someone can help me with my problem. I bought a Harley luggage rack for my FLSTC and tried to install it myself. I allready installed a lot of accessories in my bike, so it's no big deal. The problem is that two of the four screws that holds the sissy bar are so tight that I just can't take them off. I'm going crazy with this situation. I live in Brazil and the nearest Harley dealer is 400 miles. So, I would like to know if you guys have any advice to loosen the screws.

Thanks a lot

BRHarley

·
Registered
413 Posts
Soaking them in penetrating oil for a couple days helps. I'm not sure which bolts you're talking about, but I assume heating them up would do more damage to the surrounding area than it would do good. If it's a regular bolt, using a cheater bar would obviously help (piece of tubing or whatever over the ratchet). If it's a torx bit, you may want to see if you can get a torx bit in an impact driver (not an air gun, but it looks like a screwdriver of sorts. You basically whack the end of it with a hammer and it drives the bit down and to the left at the same time, hopefully loosening your bolt).

Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have experienced the same thing many times. The easiest way I found to install the screws is to chase the threads with a tap. A little oil helps to after doing this. The chrome plating gets in threads and makes then very hard to screw in. Dealers do the same thing.

I used vice grips to unscrew the ones that I couldn't back out. Of course you are talking about going to the HD dealer for new screws.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
If they used Locktite on the screws you may have to put some heat to it to loosen it. Try a soldering iron on the head of the screw. This will cause the least amount of damage to the surrounding area. Heat it up and then let it cool down.

Watch out if you have already put the penetrating oil on, you don't want to start a fire.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I solve the problem with a hammer and a screwdriver. I made a crack in the screw head and turn it off hitting with the hammer in the back of the screwdriver rotating it counterclockwise. Hard for me to explain in english!! But it worked!! Do not try this at home!!

Thanks again,

BRHarley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts