V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited the shop today and they had the chain conversion installed. I will attach a few pictures so that you all can see what the VRod looks like with a chain set-up. This is a 22/58 config which will top out at 133 - and forth a shade north of 118mph. Setup is for a four gear pass and slightly lower (137/121) for the 28/70 belt config. I hated to get rid of the chrome sprocket but ability to change gearing is important. I will provide feedback after Gainesville and I will then drop to a 63 or 65 back sprocket for a five gear pass - depending upon engine mods that we do in March - those setups should gear top speed to 127 or 123 - and I will setup to run through lights at 8,500 RPM on normal day allowing about 6 MPH of head room for optimal conditions.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shift Light

The attached picture shows the mounting of the shift light on the HD drag bars - it is a tight fit but works well. This set-up includes a kill switch teather that attaches to the driver - so that in the event of an exit off of the bike - the kill switch will be activated. Dyna shiftminder - set to 8750 for activation - Mounted on the outside of the bottom part of the plastic airbox on the right side -. On the handlebars the bracket is mfg by Pingel and I believe its a Dyna shift light. These parts are available through www.pingel.com - they specialize in racing parts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear View of the Chain Set Up

Attached is a view of the chain set up from the rear of the bike - the bracket that you can see on the bottom of the fender is for mounting a number plate - it is attached to the HD solid saddlebag bracket.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Look really nice who'sdoing the work?Whats it costing.Have you weight your bike?
Good luck and Be Safe!
Kaz.................

·
Registered
913 Posts
Kevin, what's with that metal plate on the fender above the upper chain guard that is held on with wing nuts? Also, why haven't you gone with the TurboTec 2-1 pipe yet?

John

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John - The metal plate with wing nuts is for mounting the number plates - mandatory AHDRA requirement - the wing nuts are because I am running multiple classes and may need to change them quickly. I will post pictures once it is in itss final setup - As for the Turbo Tec pipes I am currently considering those in my next setup - as I plan to have the bike dyno tuned - I wasn't originally planning on running at Gainesville so I figured that I had until April to get setup - once vacation was approved then I had to hussle to get ready - since we haven't had any weather that would permit riding to test set-ups I did not want to do too many changes at once - trailer into Gainesville and hope that it all worked out - the new gearing and no riding in 3 months is going to present alllot of challange in itself. They hadn't announced the VRod class until a few weeks ago so I was just trying to get setup for 11.5 - hopefully the new gearing will get me there. I am thinking about headwork, cams and possibly high compression piston plus I may look at an alternative to the Powercommander. I will probbably stick to my plan and try to get the bike to 10.85 @ 125mph this season - a hot street setup, reliable yet fast. The best of my cyphering says that will require about 125rwhp - I think that I could get into the 115 + range with the Turbo Tec pipe - dyno tuned. That leaves a about 10 to go. I am also considering a Nitrous setup - but that would be later in the season or next year. I will also look into a big bore as a possible setup for next season.
Kevin

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks Kevin,
Why are you cnsidering nixing the PCIIIr? BTW, I'm expecting 11.20's out of ya!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kaz - Due to my many years of eating and my middle age status I have developed a figure much like a walrus - I believe that the bike and I will weigh in at about 850 lbs - the work is being done by Spirit HD - they are sponsoring me - the chain setup was done custom by Strum Engineering and as a favor - my shop also had to do some custom machining during install - fortunate to have a good sponsor - these guys do great work. John I believe that I may be able to get ther with an airshift - but that is the next step. There is a company in Erie that is doing some work on a Powercommander type of product that he is confident that he can tune to outperform the Powercommander - I may give him a shot at that - especially if I go with the head work, etc. by the way that picture under your name would look a bit better if you nixed the model - seems to be a distraction ...................... Oh well - maybe I have spent too much time at the strip.
Kevin

·
Registered
122 Posts
I haven't seen the solid saddle bag brackets. Are those factory HD or did you have them machined?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Kevin,
I think it's great you are running with V-Mods. No one is doing more for the development and marketing of improved performance than Steve is.

Also, how easily can you go back to stock gearing, or are you going to keep the chain drive on permanently?

John

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The brackets come with the HD Saddlebags (the silver ones) the alum peice was made to fit the bracket. John - I was originally planning on changing in the summer back to the chrome pully which I like allot - but the chain came out looking better than I thought it would - I will probably increase the back sprocket to a 62 tooth in March and may have the sprocket polished. I am not sure how difficult it is to change - I have a 28 tooth for summer racing in the case that I switch back. A 62 tooth will have a top speed of 125 so it will be in the 4700 range @ 65 mph which is pretty high for cruising - lower than stock 4th gear (131.6 mph) - my current set up has 5th (133.7 mph)at just about the same place as stock forth - so I will need to check it out on the road to see if I can live with even lower gearing - I am trying to stay within a street and strip setup. I do like the VMods and I agree that Steve has been very innovative and committed to the VRod communitiy - I think that I had one of the first sets of VMods - and I am really pleased with the sound as well as the performance.
Kevin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts