V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope the forum can give me some guidance. Sorry for the long post.
There are several of us are interested in the Buell XB9 Series engines for the express purpose of using them in Micro Sprint racing. Our cars were limited to 600cc with 3 main classes, 600 stock non-winged, 600 stock winged and 600-winged outlaws. However, as of next season we will be allowed American Iron (Buell and H-D’s only) 1000cc limit V-Twins. Because of these changes we want to change to a Buell V-Twin. The current Honda and Yamaha 600cc engines being used are producing 104-107 HP in stock form. Most of them have been blueprinted to produce around 110-112HP. We are hoping we can make the Buell a good alternative yet keep the costs in line or lower than the current engines in use.
All of our cars are chain driven and front mounted sidewinders with a portion of the engine hanging outside the main frame rails (see attached photo). The cars must weigh 750lbs with driver. Our racing does need HP but on the tracks we run torque is a larger factor. Most of our tracks are 1/8th to 1/5th of a mile in length. We need to get as much power through and off the corners as we do straightaway speed (although that is important as well). We are looking for as much info as possible on the Buell XB9 Series engines. I am listing the questions we have, so any answers will help us tremendously.

Fuel Injection:
1. Is it possible to modify the stock system to run alcohol?
2. Is the stock system able to be remapped by computer trackside with a laptop?
3. Recommendations?

Clutches and transmissions:
1. Is it possible to convert the Buell to a dry clutch system?
2. Is this even advisable?
3. Our cars are rather narrow and it is preferred that the chain exit on the left side of the engine to tuck the engine further into the frame area and keep the driver clear of the chain. We have seen kits available to change the Buell to Chain Drive; does anyone produce a changeover kit, etc. to switch the drive to the left side?
4. What would your recommendations be for the best clutch performance?
5. Are close ration gears available?
6. Recommendations?

Exhaust:
1. We will need a complete system with mufflers capable of keeping the decibel limit below the track limit of 98db.
2. Recommendations?

Engine modifications?
1. What modifications would be recommended to produce more HP and torque?
2. Better camshafts and higher compression pistons?
3. Recommendations?

Thank you for any and all information provided.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
MicroSprints, you can't attach photos as that's a Premium Member facility, but I think it would be useful to be able to see what you're talking about, so.........

If you have a place on the net to host your picture, you can use the inline Image button on the Edit screen to post it (size it to around 640x480 pixels), otherwise, if you email it to me at [email protected] I'll post it for you.

Pete

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
The fuel injection system is a partial closed loop and partial open loop...this makes it very difficult to program a map into the ECM. the closed loop part is up to 20% throttle and the open loop is on up. PowerCommander used to have a unit to change the fuel but they deleted it because it was .001 of their sales and 98% of the support calls. There might be a aftermarket ECM to be had but I don't know of any off hand.
As far as burning alcohol I personaly don't know of or ever seen a injector big enough for the fuel needed in a stock throttle body runner...you might find it in the racing field or through Zippers.
Bandit makes a good lock up dry clutch for the sporty but a trany door will have to be bought to seal in all the trany oil. A belt drive will have to be used on the primary drive with this set up.
I never seen a left had drive system for the Sporty or Buell...don't know if one exist.
Gears can be bought at S&S and or Zippers.
S&S, zippers again for cams and pistions.....RedShift cams are good for racing the Sporty and they can be found at Zippers.
Good Luck

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Thank you to the ones that have responded. We are definitely thinking that the Buell will give the Yamaha and Honda racers a run for their money. We are still in a stealth mode regarding the Buell and Sportster engines being allowed. The status quo racers don't want to see their motors replaced. We are working on our proposals to the area track promoters and with all of our ducks in a row we feel they will welcome the addition of the 1000cc limit V-Twins.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
MicroSprints said:
Thank you to the ones that have responded. We are definitely thinking that the Buell will give the Yamaha and Honda racers a run for their money. We are still in a stealth mode regarding the Buell and Sportster engines being allowed. The status quo racers don't want to see their motors replaced. We are working on our proposals to the area track promoters and with all of our ducks in a row we feel they will welcome the addition of the 1000cc limit V-Twins.

Microsprints -

I don't know a thing about microsprint racing, but you've got a real interesting idea. Hope you keep us posted!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might want to check out this Buell specific site http://badweatherbikers.com/ Guys racing Buells in AMA's Formula Extreme class need 1300cc+ and still can't run with the 600's although that class permits extensive engine modifications. Do the rules require air cooling at 1000cc's? If not may I suggest a Suzuki or Honda 1000cc V-twin.

jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Track Size.

Tileguy:
As I stated our tracks are dirt with a length of 1/8 to 1/5th of a mile. Very short oval tracks. If we were racing on road-race tracks or large 1/4 to 1/2 mile tracks I would never give the Buell a chance against the 600's. I did check the Suzuki and Honda but we are all wanting for this to be an American Iron deal. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts