V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a chrome inner primary case for my 02 Road King. I have basic tools, socket heads, torq, torque wrenches, etal and have basic skills as a backyard mechanic. My question is whether this job (i.e. replace) is particualy difficult or is straight forward. Anything touchy which can be screwd up?

For example, I am going to have the dealer change the handle bars and add braided lines because I don't want to mess with the throttle linkage.

thx, greg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Piece of cake. You need large sockets and a torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft/lbs. You need a tool to lock the primary drive but it can be made out of a piece of flat steel.

On the other hand it makes one wonder, as the throttle cables are a snap, nothing to it either.

All these jobs are straight forward, maybe except disassembling and truing the flywheels.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think you better let the dealer change that too, if the throttle cables are more than you want.
Just taking the clutch apart and back together and adjusting it is a lot harder than the throttle cables. And thats just a small part of it.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I just did left side seals on my 01 RC. You won't see real pain unless someone has already had it apart and slathered red locktite all over the compensator bolt or clutch hub nut (manual says 2 drops). It took a 6 foot jack handle on a 3/4" drive breaker bar to crack mine loose.

Other than that its tedious but not impossible. Take your time.

You don't need special tools unless you're taking off the drive sprocket or changing tranny seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts