V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a qwiksilver carb an was wanting to know if anybody has an experience with them. Good/or bad.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Quicksilver carb...

Hey there Hitx,

I've heard nothing good about the Edelbrock Quicksilver carb. Thier heads are trick but thier carbs are junk. Tuning problems galore!

Either Thunderslide and rejet your Keihin or pop for a Mikuni and rejet that. They're seldom spot on out of the box.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
While they do work relatively well they have reliability issues, in particular the needles pulling out of the seat. Generally this means a new carb as no one carries any parts for them when on the road. If you insist I know plenty of guys that might give them to you for the shipping cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
installed carb, I'll let you know how it tunes up...

Just getting it on was a pain in the ass, the linkage didn't bolt up correctly, the installation instructions were missing, way it was adjusted out of the box I couldn't even get it to crank, finally after tweaking awile it cranked. Got just a real short ride and so far (knock on wood) its running like a scalded dog! I had a modified 44 mm keihin on it and this is way better than that. it felt really torquey (40mm accelerator pump style)... I'll keep you posted if it falls off!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone was right... it's crap!

I wish I woulda checked this board first. I am going to try to return it. Its linkage did not bolt up correctly. It is harder than a heiniken to twist the throttle (no twist off bottles on a heiniken) and the enricher circuit knob adjusts itself with vibration. Imagine that, vibration on a harley. Looking for a new carb still....

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Re: Everyone was right... it's crap!

hitx said:
I wish I woulda checked this board first. I am going to try to return it. Its linkage did not bolt up correctly. <snip> ...
hitx, 'takes a real man to come back to confess he should have listen to his friends. ;) No one will tell you "I told you so". Everyone has been in the place that you are. But let's hope that your experience can benefit others. The H/D Forum is fortunate to have many very competant technical people who generously share their knowledge and experience. Take their good counsel in the spirit it is given.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You already have the best carb or the best two carbs you will ever have, the 44CV and presumably the original 40CV. You never said what bike this thing is going on. If it is a TwinCam use the 44 if it is a sporty or a stock EVO use the 40.
You just have to learn how to tune them.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I must be the only guy that had good luck with one of there carbs.
I had it on a 84 shovel. I never had a bit of trouble with it. Had at least 20,000 miles on the carb when I sold the bike. Now I have EFI on my bagger so I will never know how good or bad the rest of them are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts