V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
103 to 110 upgrade. I just about fell over when I received this email , I know prices have been going up on most of everything and I am remember how much I spent on my 95 flhr for engine mods reality HURTS!!!!
Here is the quote I was referring to I WILL NOT mention any kind of name of dealer !!!!

The stage 4 103-110” tire shredder kit installed with Harleys tuner will run EST $5650. If you wanted a different tuner, TTS for example it would run EST $6000. Let me know if you would like to get the kit installed!

And I purchased 2/1 Rinehart pipe and arlen ness a/f kit which was NOT INCLUDED in the price

well I actually went back to dealer and got the crap off my chest !!! happy to say that there was about 20 +people in there and I made sure that I was loud enough to make a difference !!! getting a better quote tomorrow ?? yea I will see.. and if I do I WILL POST IT !!! just a little F.Y I

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Tire shredder or wallet shredder? A dealer is the last place I would go for performance upgrade. Find a good indy and discuss a build that will match your pipe with the right cam, compression and tune and you will easily end up with more performance in that 103 than the 110 the dealer is quoting. You could have your heads ported and still come out way less.

·
Super Moderator
20,902 Posts
That dealers, whos name is unmentioned, is a rip off. That price is an absolute rip job. Round numbers, the kit, tuner and oil, oil filter and odds and ends will be about $3300. List. That leaves about $2300 on a job that bills out at 9 hours. So they would have to be charging $255 and hour.

Mine ran about $4500 for parts. The kit, an S&S wheel set and Timken conversion, and an S&S oil pump and cam plate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok here is the quote that i 1st received, then I called to possibly schedule for job being done service manag
20210220_044507.jpg
er then hops on the line an starts telling me those quotes ARE WRONG. hard to read!! And here is the quote for the TTS MASTERTUNE THAT I am required to purchase W.T.F. I have never seen such a cluster freek !!! 1 page 4200.00. Next is 950.00 5300.00

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
My point was so much of what I read on these forums about the SE stage kits are guys that end up changing out so many of the parts HD supplies and at the end of the day it would be much more cost effective to have a shop that also does tuning put together a proven combination of parts that work well together and then there are no parts left over to sell on ebay or wherever. I see arguments about warranty and that is out the window even with the HD stage kits unless you have some sort of buddy deal with the dealer. Truth be told a lot of the stock parts are fine and others need to be addressed, it's knowing which ones and replacing them is what makes for good combinations. I have taken 120R engines and changed a few parts and upped the power to 150/145 SAE, with a little port work, a top end job engine in chassis. The parts I changed were with other HD parts ironically except the lifters and valves. Just one example of many. How much things should cost and what the results are, the bar gets lowered when it shouldn't be. With the late model 103 and 110 twin cams 1hp/cu in and same for torque is a pipe, air filter, and cam change away. From there it gets more costly and evasive but 1.2hp/cu in. is still a top end job and the stage 2 stuff brought over. In todays world a tuning device and dyno tune is $800+, pipes $800+, an AF that works right $400. These are all fixed costs before any motor work is done. So it gets costly but at least at the end of the job the results justify the cost.

·
Super Moderator
20,902 Posts
That's not even a Tire Shredder kit. That one just makes it into a CVO 110 9.3 compression and 255 cams. You don't even need a tuner, they can flash the CVO tune onto your ecm.

Labor from Harleys labor book

*Replace the jugs heads and pistons. 3.5 hours
*Replace cams and bearings 3.7 hours
7.2 hours
Deducts for duplicate labor -1.8 hours
5.2 hours total or $572

(*)These are stand alone operations, so deduct for the exhaust already being off and the pushrods already out -1.8 hours

Most dealers wont do stage work for warranty time, but the going rate for a stage 4 on a dry twin cam is $800

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
The kit is a bolt-on, top end job. 110 thin wall cylinders. $800 seems proper as Thermo says.
Will make 100/100, that is a lot of money for less than good results.
In my world for a third less money still low compression S&S 110 and small cam (Andrews 57), stock throttle body, minor head work, and terrible (CFR) pipes still make 110/130 SAE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts