V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm getting old. I'm currently running a Rinehart 2-1 on my 98" (37G/ported heads) Eglide and would like to quiet things up a bit without killing the performance. I'm also looking to go back to the 2 pipe look (at least for now). Will the baffle size on the Rush mufflers affect performance? I'm guessing it would. Here's what I'm considering in no particular order.

Rush - what size baffle?

Supertrapp SE

D&D Police Interceptor - how do the stainless mufflers look compared to chrome?

S&S SPO - I don't know if I can handle the looks, although I haven't seen them other than a few pics.

Any input in helping me with a decision will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
428 Posts
eglider05 said:
I guess I'm getting old. I'm currently running a Rinehart 2-1 on my 98" (37G/ported heads) Eglide and would like to quiet things up a bit without killing the performance. I'm also looking to go back to the 2 pipe look (at least for now). Will the baffle size on the Rush mufflers affect performance? I'm guessing it would. Here's what I'm considering in no particular order.

Rush - what size baffle?

Supertrapp SE

D&D Police Interceptor - how do the stainless mufflers look compared to chrome?

S&S SPO - I don't know if I can handle the looks, although I haven't seen them other than a few pics.

Any input in helping me with a decision will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
I just took a pair of wild pigs with 1 3/4" baffles off my bike. They are virtually identical to the Rush mufflers, except Rush has nicer chrome. It doesn't matter which baffle you put in, they are all fairly loud. The baffles size changes the how deep they sound. They were nice, except at cruise. They sounded annoying, just like a jackhammer behind me. In all fairness, I could still hear my radio at 90 mph with them.

My best friend has the Supertrapp and they sound pretty good.

I have not heard the D&D interceptor.

I now have my second pair of S&S SPO's on the way. They were absolutely great on my '04 RoadKing. Added a little bottom end grunt, and sounded great accelerating and at idle. When you reach 60 mph it sounds like someone turns a switch, and all the sound is left behind you. All you hear is wind. These will go on my '08 EG Classic, and are due to arrive Thursday.
They are by far my favorites ever. I made a mistake trying to save a buck, and I regret it. I should have just gone ahead and ordered the SPO's from the start.

Highmiles 43

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Highmiles said:
I just took a pair of wild pigs with 1 3/4" baffles off my bike. They are virtually identical to the Rush mufflers, except Rush has nicer chrome. It doesn't matter which baffle you put in, they are all fairly loud. The baffles size changes the how deep they sound. They were nice, except at cruise. They sounded annoying, just like a jackhammer behind me. In all fairness, I could still hear my radio at 90 mph with them.

My best friend has the Supertrapp and they sound pretty good.

I have not heard the D&D interceptor.

I now have my second pair of S&S SPO's on the way. They were absolutely great on my '04 RoadKing. Added a little bottom end grunt, and sounded great accelerating and at idle. When you reach 60 mph it sounds like someone turns a switch, and all the sound is left behind you. All you hear is wind. These will go on my '08 EG Classic, and are due to arrive Thursday.
They are by far my favorites ever. I made a mistake trying to save a buck, and I regret it. I should have just gone ahead and ordered the SPO's from the start.

Highmiles 43
I'm tempted to go with the SPO's but I'm just not sure I can get over the looks.

Rick​

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Have you considered putting a surertrapp slipon on your 2in1? You should be able to quiet it down and have decent power also.

·
Registered
428 Posts
route66paul said:
Have you considered putting a surertrapp slipon on your 2in1? You should be able to quiet it down and have decent power also.
Paul is right, The Supertrapp is very nice, and can be tuned. It is only a little louder than the SPO.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
route66paul said:
I thought about it but I can't get past the appearance of the end of the pipe. I think for now I'll just go with the stock head pipes and a set of slipons, probably Rush as I've had them before and they sound pretty decent.

Rick

·
Registered
428 Posts
eglider05 said:
I thought about it but I can't get past the appearance of the end of the pipe. I think for now I'll just go with the stock head pipes and a set of slipons, probably Rush as I've had them before and they sound pretty decent.

Rick
Good luck on quiet + Rush. Probably a combination of more displacement and more heat, but 1 3/4" baffles will sound just exactly like a jackhammer chasing you down the road. Let me know how it turns out. I don't mind loud, but I hate obnoxious.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Highmiles said:
Good luck on quiet + Rush. Probably a combination of more displacement and more heat, but 1 3/4" baffles will sound just exactly like a jackhammer chasing you down the road. Let me know how it turns out. I don't mind loud, but I hate obnoxious.
I emailed Rush and with my 98" they suggested using a 1.75" in the left pipe and a 2.25" in the right. Who knows? I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I actually had intended on buying a used set of D&D Police interceptors but I didn't act fast enough and they were sold. Last night I had my finger on the "buy" button on a set of SPO's but just couldn't pull the trigger. I'm still can't get past the appearance (size) of those things.

Rick​

·
Registered
428 Posts
eglider05 said:

I emailed Rush and with my 98" they suggested using a 1.75" in the left pipe and a 2.25" in the right. Who knows? I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I actually had intended on buying a used set of D&D Police interceptors but I didn't act fast enough and they were sold. Last night I had my finger on the "buy" button on a set of SPO's but just couldn't pull the trigger. I'm still can't get past the appearance (size) of those things.

Rick​
I really would like to know how it turns out. I was really hoping, it would work for me, mostly because of the price difference. I guess the SPO's look strange to some people, but it has never really bothered me, since you only notice them from the rear. Not that different than "ovals", really.

Jim 43

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Highmiles said:
I really would like to know how it turns out. I was really hoping, it would work for me, mostly because of the price difference. I guess the SPO's look strange to some people, but it has never really bothered me, since you only notice them from the rear. Not that different than "ovals", really.

Jim 43
I'll let you know how it turns out this weekend. If you have the SPO's how about posting a pic?

Rick

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just got the SPO's mounted, and I have noticed two differences between these and the ones I had. The first is the sound. It is much deeper, and mellower than the old ones. The other is cosmetic. They now paint the baffle area black, and it really makes a difference. I'll try and get a pic of them shortly.

They still "turn off" above 60mph. My radio sounds much clearer at 80mph, than it did even with the stock pipes.

Jim43

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Highmiles said:
I just got the SPO's mounted, and I have noticed two differences between these and the ones I had. The first is the sound. It is much deeper, and mellower than the old ones. The other is cosmetic. They now paint the baffle area black, and it really makes a difference. I'll try and get a pic of them shortly.

They still "turn off" above 60mph. My radio sounds much clearer at 80mph, than it did even with the stock pipes.

Jim43
Hey Highmiles, notice any performance bump or change of any kind besides sound on the 08 SG? I just bought a set, should be here about the same day as my bike get's here. I need to see those pictures!!!
thanks
"X"

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Highmiles said:
OK, these weren't quite was I was hoping for in the quiet department, a little louder than I had hoped, but they sure do sound nice. No jackhammer going on with the 2.25" baffles at all. I do have 1.75" baffles on order as Epiflex recommened I use the 1.75" in the left muffler with the stock head pipes on my 98" as I explained to them my wanting to keep it as quiet as possible without killing performance.

I have to admit after having a 2-1 for the last year I do prefer the look of 2 pipes even though in the future I could find myself going back to the 2-1 for the performance aspect.

Rick​

1 - 14 of 14 Posts