V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering how much interest there is for a camshaft gear drive setup for TC that is much quieter than what is currently available and would cost the same or less...

Please let me know your thoughts..

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
It's already been done the 06 dyna with hydraulic tensioners and roller chain. With retrofit cams this can be fitted to earlier models with the added benefit of a 23% increase in oil supply and improved scavenging

If someone had the notion helical gears with opposing inner and outer helix would solve the problems, just my new guy here opinion.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
atengnr said:
Im wondering how much interest there is for a camshaft gear drive setup for TC that is much quieter than what is currently available and would cost the same or less...

Thanks.
Have you seen the Wood's gear/belt setup?

Not too sure how the '06 Dyna chain setup really applies to the poster's gear drive question, though...:huh:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
That woods belt drive setup looks nice. Personally I don't think the noise of a gear drive cam is bad if setup right.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Fatb0y said:
That woods belt drive setup looks nice. Personally I don't think the noise of a gear drive cam is bad if setup right.
Personally, I'm getting real tired of hearing about it!! "Chains are quieter" "Gears give more HP" !! I think that people that run chains either ain't got the money for gears or would rather use it somewhere else. I think guys that run gears like the sound or have the extra cash to do so. All your better builders recommend gears, but most cam manufacturer;s make both chain and gear versions!!! Just my-2$en#e-

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
If you want to know what's quieter than a gear drive, the answer is chain drive. That's why the MOCO uses it. If you are tired of hearing about it then quit asking. That's coming from a guy that has the money and doesn't want to waste it.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I've only heard a couple sets of geared cams personally. One is mine. Not a big pool of experience but both the ones I have heard were as quiet as the chains....so I don't see what the fuss is.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
From what I understand if you install the Baisley spring , the gear drives get quieter, I'll find out soon as mine is on its way.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
atengnr said:

Thanks.
Well it looks like I will be the first one to actually read your post. Yes I would be interested. Gears are more reliable than the present chain systems (including the 06). Also, if they are going to run quieter that in turn would mean they would have less friction and therefore help to have less parasitic loss of HP and TQ. If lightening holes were in the gears that would also help in the reduction of rotating mass but might cause some hydraulic drag if the oil can collect in those holes. I actually think that the oil will sling off so as not to cause any losses.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yup, and helically cut gears might be more quiet while adding the benefit of more constant tooth contact but wll also impose serious side to side thrust loads creating the need for tapered or some other type of thrust bearings to deal with the physical forces imparted on the rotating parts?

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
csoday said:
If you want to know what's quieter than a gear drive, the answer is chain drive. That's why the MOCO uses it. If you are tired of hearing about it then quit asking. That's coming from a guy that has the money and doesn't want to waste it.
Read my post Chuck!! I've NEVER asked!! I don't care!! MOCO uses it cause it's cheaper and they can make more money changing peoples shoes that can't do it themselves!! That's coming from a guy that's never paid MOCO for an oil change. Read my post after you've had your coffe next time!!! Jeez!!:duh?:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
compressor#v said:
Just because they changed the set up in the '06 Dyna's doesn't mean their reliable. Too early to tell.
Being as they are supposed to be using the same shoe material (from what I have heard) I would guess the wear would still be a problem.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No intetion of starting a fight here, just curious how mnay people would like to have a robust setup that is quieter.

Does anyone know if the current gear drive kit fits on the 06 tc?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
LE PEW said:
Yup, and helically cut gears might be more quiet while adding the benefit of more constant tooth contact but wll also impose serious side to side thrust loads creating the need for tapered or some other type of thrust bearings to deal with the physical forces imparted on the rotating parts?
So you get different bearings with the gear drive kit. Big deal.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
atengnr said:

Thanks.
Am I the only one to of read this post? Why can't anyone just answer the question? When he says "Please let me know your thoughts" he is referring to your thoughts on a quieter running gear drive for twincam camshafts. :duh?:

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
"Yup, and helically cut gears might be more quiet while adding the benefit of more constant tooth contact but wll also impose serious side to side thrust loads creating the need for tapered or some other type of thrust bearings to deal with the physical forces imparted on the rotating parts?"

Yup just what I thought so the design I mocked up in solidworks used opposing helixs on the front and rear gears and a mild gear angle. In essence they would be slightly thrusting toward each other just enough to remove lash and the net result would be zero thrust, but WTF do I know eh?
Judging by the responses here looks like it is headed fro the "recycle bin", it's good to keep the old grey matter moving though.

"Gears are more reliable than the present chain systems (including the 06). "

Perhaps, your sources please

"Gears give more HP"

Perhaps, your sources please
My sources, Blackhills Ken, ran a back to back test on the same bike and just changed to the gear drive version of the same cam and lost a negligable amount of power, in all fairness could have just been engine temp the difference was so small

Gues what I am a gear drive cam fan too and run them in my bike and even went to the trouble to custom grind the one for my own personal bike, nonetheless see what the limitations are and can seperate the advertising hype from the facts.

If someone came to market with a gear setup that was at the current pricepoint (not the woods belt) and they met my engineering standards I would purchase them, yes. More money, no as I have no issues with the current setup and can usually except with the high runout scenerio get them quiet, part of that process involves my choice, not the customers choice always, of cams

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Who gives a crap about the noise? Do you just sit all day at idol in your driveway to hear the "noise"? All this talk about "LOUD PIPES" and you worry about a little gear noise? When you are out on the road doing xxx MPH, you do not hear the gear noise anyway, so what is the big deal? However, if you are one of the "POSERS" that go from bike night to bike night with your "pretty" bike, the gear noise might hurt your metrosexual eardrums. After all, when you fire it up and twist the wick as you are sitting out in front of your favorite bar in your "never been hit with a bug" leathers, your poser friends would never be able to tell the difference unless you tell them. All this wasted time and energy on "gear noise". This is my second set of gear drive cams in my bikes and personally, I just ride. Never pay it any attention. I am too busy looking for the idiots on the road that are not paying attention to motorcycles on the road to be worried about gear drive noise. OK, just my -2$en#e-

·
Registered
297 Posts
atengnr said:
No intetion of starting a fight here, just curious how mnay people would like to have a robust setup that is quieter.

Does anyone know if the current gear drive kit fits on the 06 tc?
How much pinion shaft runout will this gear drive be able to tolerate?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
fxdl raw said:
Who gives a crap about the noise? Do you just sit all day at idol in your driveway to hear the "noise"? All this talk about "LOUD PIPES" and you worry about a little gear noise? When you are out on the road doing xxx MPH, you do not hear the gear noise anyway, so what is the big deal? However, if you are one of the "POSERS" that go from bike night to bike night with your "pretty" bike, the gear noise might hurt your metrosexual eardrums. After all, when you fire it up and twist the wick as you are sitting out in front of your favorite bar in your "never been hit with a bug" leathers, your poser friends would never be able to tell the difference unless you tell them. All this wasted time and energy on "gear noise". This is my second set of gear drive cams in my bikes and personally, I just ride. Never pay it any attention. I am too busy looking for the idiots on the road that are not paying attention to motorcycles on the road to be worried about gear drive noise. OK, just my -2$en#e-
Still haven't read the man's post.

Oh and my leathers don't have any bugs on them right now because here in Michigan the bugs aren't flying while I'm riding my bike in the 20, 30 to 40 degree weather. Ah and by the way no electric clothes, grips or seats. Poser

1 - 20 of 51 Posts