V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all - thanks for your feedback on my "Roasting Sack" post. I've scoured the board, reading all of the other advice and opinions on the issue of exhaust heat, and it's all been very well-reasoned and sensible.

To me, nice days are for riding, not wrenching. Besides, I live in a townhouse community in Godforsaken Fairfax VA, where wrenching in the lot is expressly-forbidden by the Gestapo - er - HOA. It's a $150 ticket when they catch you, and yes - I've been caught before. Thus, I don't feel like half-assing the problem: if there is one thing I can do that will solve the majority of my woes, I'll go for it.

This brings me to an inescapable, and unfortunate conclusion: I need to change the exhaust.

I have Stage 1 Sceaming Eagles on her at the moment, which - to me (and the HOA) are far, far too loud.

Ignore the "loud pipes save lives" debate: I agree with the sentiment, and my SE's have saved me at least 4 times I can count since I bought Ellie last summer. My wife and friends all disagree with me, saying the bike is just fine with the SE's, but I miss being able to hear my stereo.

So, I'm looking for a nice, relatively-quiet set of duals (versus 2:1's - I like the symmetrical look).

I have access to all the catalogs, websites, etc... what I really need are opinions from people that own such a system, and your thoughts as to how quiet they are. Some manufacturers will say right up-front that a particular model is loud (and I commend them for that) but none will say whether their pipes are quiet. That's a damn shame.

I'll even give up a couple HP, if it eases the heat situation and quiets the bike down... so I can hear the stereo again and not cook things that ought not be cooked.

Any thoughts? What do you use? What will do the trick?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I hear the S&S SPO mufflers are pretty quiet and perform decently. I don't personally care for their looks. Different strokes...........

Rick

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I haven't heard your setup so can't compare. I have V&H True Duals with Oval Slip ons. I'd call them pretty loud if get on it. Stay out of the throttle and they're not to bad. But what's loud to me may not be the same to you. I can hear the radio going down the road without any problems.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Dibubba said:
So, I'm looking for a nice, relatively-quiet set of duals (versus 2:1's - I like the symmetrical look).

Any thoughts? What do you use? What will do the trick?
S&S SPO Touring Mufflers

Quiet Power is their claim, and from what I've heard about them I would say they nailed it.

The sound level is supposed to be right between the Touring Mufflers and S/E Touring Mufflers...........or just right.

Check out the posts in this section and the touring section about them, I've been researching them for a while and I'm getting ready to order my set this week.

Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
V&H True Duals with the HD Touring Mufflers out of the 2006 catalog. Heat off the right leg & good sound.

The HD Touring Mufflers are tame compared to the SE II's, but louder than stock. They legal in 49 states. Watch e-bay or check Zanotti's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts