V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know who makes the quietest dependable cam gear drive for twin cam.

I've heard some that sound like a sick supercharger!!!!!!

Trying to make a sleeper out of 2002 Wide glide.

Thanks Guys,

Bill

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think S&S is the only one making the actual gear drive gears,others make cams for them but the gears are S&S.
Mine run very quiet and smooth.
The trick is having them set up properly.
They make both oversize and undersize gears to compsenate for mfg tolernence variations on the engines.
Set up correctly they are as quiet as the OEM chain drives if not more quiet.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I think I saw a set at the V-twin dealer convention made by (Bob Wood?) that are heli-cut that allow them to mesh better. Other than that I think you just have to make sure you have all the correct clearences.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cams

Bob Wood offers a Silent belt drive/gear drive that the tuner cam swing cam timing plus or minus 10 degrees, while on the dyno, in less than 10 seconds.
It is on his site. www.woodcarbs.com.
Scott

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
So let me get this straight. Wood creates cams with very radical ramps and granted they work well but there is this small issue of noise both lifter loft and gear lash clatter excentuated due to their design.

But lookee here the same company that makes the noisy cams makes the 500+ dollar fix for the noisy cams the "silent drive" gears and belt.

Does this sound a little like the MOCO IDS rubber mounted rear pulley scenerio??

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
BTW it is my belief if somebody would design helical gears for the front and rear with reverse helixes (opposing) at a mild tooth angle the problem of lash caused by runout and noise would vanish.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
BTW it is my belief if somebody would design helical gears for the front and rear with reverse helixes (opposing) at a mild tooth angle the problem of lash caused by runout and noise would vanish.
Word a while back Wood was doing something like that and S&S presented him with a law suit. ShortBlock Charlie was also doing the two piece spring loaded gears but S&S aint goining to let anyone else have a piece of thier pie without a fight.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Mtclassic said:
Word a while back Wood was doing something like that and S&S presented him with a law suit. ShortBlock Charlie was also doing the two piece spring loaded gears but S&S aint goining to let anyone else have a piece of thier pie without a fight.
No comment on the SBC thing but if Bobby was to make the helical gears this is not a copyright infringement. The design is significantly different. I am no lawyer but my gut says the new gears would be legal. Of course even the threat of going to court to prove it is a bit intimidating. If the MOCO keeps allowing such a sloppy tolerance for runout gears will all be a non-issue anyway.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
Bobby's gear drive cams are helical ..... only the main drive is belted.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cams

nw_guy4_fun said:
So let me get this straight. Wood creates cams with very radical ramps and granted they work well but there is this small issue of noise both lifter loft and gear lash clatter excentuated due to their design.

But lookee here the same company that makes the noisy cams makes the 500+ dollar fix for the noisy cams the "silent drive" gears and belt.

Does this sound a little like the MOCO IDS rubber mounted rear pulley scenerio??
The reason he developed them is 1, to be able to move cam timing easily, and 2, to compensate for crankshaft runout that causes noise with conventional gear drive set-ups. Hope that clears up that question.
Very inovative product indeed.
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
So it was just the inner cam gears that are helical gears. I thought that I saw someone at the show that had done this.

Isn't the rear cam machined differently (lobes) due to the belt causing the cam to rotate in a different direction?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
claydbal said:
maybe so, but order andrews gear drive and when you open the package, the individual boxes say s&s????????????????
The design and pat. is S&S's But Andrews makes the product. There is another co that makes the gear drive for S&S as a fill in when Andrews is busy with other products.....this other co has made some inferior gear drives. Andrews gears have a 5 digit job number etched into the gear and the metal is shiner.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Gears

HDMD88 said:
The design and pat. is S&S's But Andrews makes the product. There is another co that makes the gear drive for S&S as a fill in when Andrews is busy with other products.....this other co has made some inferior gear drives. Andrews gears have a 5 digit job number etched into the gear and the metal is shiner.
I agree with the all of the above, and the shiney metal is probably that Andrews Products runs their gears through a media tumbler to remove all burrs from the gear hobbing process.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Gears

RK05 said:
So it was just the inner cam gears that are helical gears. I thought that I saw someone at the show that had done this.

Isn't the rear cam machined differently (lobes) due to the belt causing the cam to rotate in a different direction?
That I do not know.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
It's just too easy to head down a road throwing money at all the problems we create ourselves.
So personally if I have a crank with excessive runout I will have it trued and welded, then use conventional gear drive confidently.
Money is an issue and throwing money at a 95" motor to get to cutting edge becomes costly in a hurry and sooner or later a 103 or 107" motor becomes more economical to get similar or better performance without any of the exotic gear, special camplates, belt drives, etc etc.
It's pretty hard to swallow that belt drive pill and sell that to a customer all the time knowing that if the cam choice is right, the crank relatively true, and installation procedures are carefully followed for the build, it will not require retiming or make excessive noise.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
RK05 said:

think about this, rear cam is same grind as rear chain drive. front cam is same grind as rear gear drive. maybe i am confused, maybe not.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Claydbal, that sounds right. The back would rotate in the stock clockwise direction while the front would rotate counter clockwise.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
We find that there is nothing wrong with the Andrews/S&S gears, the problem is in what you nest them in. The cam plates without the bearings are horrible. The Andrews tech's will tell you that if you have more than .0025" pinion shaft runout that this will affect the gear drive cams. The factory just changed the service wear limit to .012"- what's wrong with this scenario? If we use gear drive cams we put them in bearings (they don't move). The jerk and yank of the cams wears the aluminum (which by design already have too much clearance for gears) and loosens the cams gear pitch. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts