V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use for a 'quick clean' when you're on the road for several days? I'm always hesitant to use a spray-n-wipe type of product on a dirty bike. Are there any that do a good job?

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Sinker said:
What do you use for a 'quick clean' when you're on the road for several days? I'm always hesitant to use a spray-n-wipe type of product on a dirty bike. Are there any that do a good job?
I won't wipe a dirty bike without water period, however I have used the BOM on my dusty bike before leaving the garage! It is a phenominal product, and I have friends that use it on the road, on some pretty dirty bikes. Their bikes look great! like new afterwards. I don't look at their bikes with a microscope or in indirect light in a garage after however so I am not sure if there is any microscopic scratching. They claim not, and I know the product is designed to lift dirt with a lubricant emulsifier. In the sunlight their bikes put mine to shame when on the road. I wait till I'm home and wash the old fasioned way.
WATER! I also live on 6 miles of dusty rough dirt road, so my black bike gets pelted with dust before I can even get to the pavement!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
8-Ball said:
Mothers spray detail works well for me with a micro fiber cloth.
@gree:
I second that...I've also used Mcguirres (sp?) quick detailer, as well as the harley stuff. It does a great job between the wash and wax.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
I don't.
It stays dirty until I get home. I keep the mirrors and lights clean and may wipe down the windshield. I look over the shield instead of through it so I don't even really need to clean it.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...if mine gets that bad.........then I use, ~gasp~ the dreaded car wash. Other than that I'm with Jim, I'm riding not showing.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
On the road I'll try to get all the gas off the tank if I run it over while filling.
That's pretty much it. I'm not out there to work or enter a bike show.

Edit:

Don't get me wrong, it's clean when I leave and I clean it up ASAP after I get back home.
Just can't see spending the time/effort after a 5-600 mile day detailing my bike.
There's local color to sample, 1 1/2 or 12oz at a time.:beer:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
And I'll tell ya what. It's a big a$$ difference between cleaning a sporty and cleaning a E-Glide. It's painstaking even! Now I really really hate it when I get caught in the rain. :mad:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I try and keep the tank clean, it suffers a lot of abuse whan on the road. Between removing gas caps and my legs next to it, keeping it clean goes a long way to keeping the fine scratches off.
I use a wet micro fiber cloth to wipe it off and BOM to polish it. Takes about 1 minute in the morning before I load the bike.
The rest of the bike stays dirty except the windshield and lights.
The one exception is love bugs down south. I try and get them off the same night. Those bastards can eat your paint if you leave them on too long.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
The key to the spray and wipes is using a microfiber cloth. The microfiber traps the particles on a surface and keeps it from scratching. Google it!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Try Honda cleaner. I know, I know use a Honda product on my HD? But this stuff works good. I usually don't clean anything but the tank on a trip. It just keeps me from scratching the tank with my legs.

Deac

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Deac said:
Try Honda cleaner. I know, I know use a Honda product on my HD? But this stuff works good. I usually don't clean anything but the tank on a trip. It just keeps me from scratching the tank with my legs. Deac
I must be anal about having a bike clean when traveling. There's been a couple things I've always done before hitting the hay at night, that's filling up and cleaning the bike up. To me there's nothing better, when on a long ride, than starting out the mor'n on a clean bike with a full tank of gas.

Deac, I've used the Honda Spray/Brite stuff for quite a few years now. Have a good friend here that owns the Honda Dealership and he gets it for me by the case. By the way, Honda Spray/Brite is made by S100 Products. Yep, the same S100 that Harley sales.

o~\o

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
if the bike is real dirty I will give her a bath .. no detailing.. Only detail on the road is a little fabreeze under the pits and I' m good to go...

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Fxsts103ci said:
if the bike is real dirty I will give her a bath .. no detailing.. Only detail on the road is a little fabreeze under the pits and I' m good to go...
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Now there is a true biker for you. No toothbrush...just rinse the mouth out with coffee and go. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Texan said:
I must be anal about having a bike clean when traveling. There's been a couple things I've always done before hitting the hay at night, that's filling up and cleaning the bike up. To me there's nothing better, when on a long ride, than starting out the mor'n on a clean bike with a full tank of gas.
You are not alone, I do the same thing. I won't clean without water though, which is usually no problem, I've even used ice buckets from motels for water. I always carry a washing rag and detailing cloths along with Nova for the windshield.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I usually don't bother to wash my bike while on a trip but...last summer I happened to ride on a road where they just painted stripes and I didn't find out until I looked down at the floorboard and saw yellow.

I got to a self serve car wash as soon as I could before the paint dried.

When I'm at home I use Maguiars NXT and NXT Speed Detailer after washing the bike and drying it with a leaf blower which is what I also use on my 'Vette.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't do much detailing on the road, but after a rain ride I try to hit the local car wash. One trip to northern California we were riding through a small town, going slow, and saw this brown shiny substance on the road. Had ridden through it for several yards before the smell hit us. It was fresh cow shi---t or should I say diarrhea! The front tire sprayed that stuff all over the front and bottom of my bike. What a mess, had to find a car wash that night for sure!
Ever since that, I keep on eye out for cattle trailers!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
hogg831 said:
...if mine gets that bad.........then I use, ~gasp~ the dreaded car wash. Other than that I'm with Jim, I'm riding not showing.
Sums it up for me. I usually say damn I should hit a car wash, but never do. Just keep sayinng Woo this bike is dirty. Detailing on the road, :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts