V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a FLSTFI on order. Stock is to quiet. I'm looking at SE II ballony cut and HD ballony cut slip ons. The question is what are the advantages to a crossover or not having a crossover? The SE II do not have a cross over and the HD have one. The other one I'm thinking about is the SE 16 gage double barrel which has a very large crossover. The 16 gage requires a reprogram for the EFI. The SE II and the SE 16 gage say race only. How loud are they?

Thanks in advance for you help and explanations.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Dave,

It appears that you are taking about two HD products.

Harley-Davidson Softail Slip-On Mufflers, Shotgun - Baloney Cut
PN# 80381-00

Screamin' Eagle® II Slip-Fit Mufflers for Softails with Shotgun Exhaust - Baloney Cut80354-00

If so, I think your asking about the "crossed flags"
icon. Technically the crossed flag items are for race applications and not for street use. I don't know anybody who pays attention to that warning.

Both of these slip ons are no doubt louder than stock, the SEII's are probably the least restrictive. You'll also need the SE breather kit -
Screamin’ Eagle® Stage I Kit for EFI Softail® Models29756-01 and a reflash of your ECM.

wyo

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about between the pipes.

The HD slip ons have a cross over tube between the two pipes which means the front and rear cylinder pipes are connected. The SE slip ons have no cross over between the pipes. You are corect with the P/N you listed.

I was wondering if there was any advantage to having the cross over or not? I know on a car the cross over on true duals can help low end torque. Not sure on a bike. I see many that are true duals. I also see many that are crossed over. Just curious if there was any advantage to one or the other?

I do not intend to pay attention to the crossed flags race only crap. I know most all the people use them on the street.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually, I think he is not referring to the slip-ons. About three months ago, Harley came out with the 16-Gauge exhaust, sort of like the V&H long shots...

They aren't slip-ons and sound pretty good....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have you considered other exhaust systems? It seams like you arel looking for power and sound. I would direct you towards a true 2-1. Thunderheaders, Hard Krome xCelerators, White Brothers E series, D&D fat cats.
They would provide better performance and sound. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Pipes with a crossover give better low end torque and mid range acceleration. Duals will give better performance at full throttle (WFO).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Vance&Hines Bigshots now have the Power Chamber.....and they look great!

The new BIG SHOTS feature our exclusive crossover system called the POWER CHAMBER. The race-inspired Power Chamber is a unique crossover system that offers all the performance advantages of a 2 into 1 race system, yet retains the intimidating look of drag pipes. In addition, we have redesigned the mufflers and removable baffles for better performance and a deeper, more powerful sound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not a "dyno" guy but I have been told that a crossover pipe help with the scavageing and therefore with the lower end torque. I t mkes sence to me anyway. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pipes

I could not stand the sound of the bike stock. I put SE II Baloney cut slip on's on it the day I drove it home.

I have spent lots of time listening to and reading everything I can on pipes. From what I gather 2 into 1 is the best from preformance stand point. I'm just not sure it is the look I want on a fatboy.

I really like the Vance and Hines Big Shot longs with the power chamber and the staggards with the power chamber. They seam to be a good comprimise between looks and performance. They sound great.

It will be a bit before I get pipes. I want to look and listen a few more months. Sound, looks and performance are important. So far the V & H seem to fit my desires best. However there are many more to see and hear.

From what I have read EFI bikes like mine do better with a 2 into 1 or at least a cross over.

Am I reading correctly? Other Ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just had the SE 16 gauge double barrel exhaust fitted (in conjunction with the SE Stage 1 breather) to my 03 Deuce. It looks great, sounds great (deep rumble) and there seems to be a lot more low and mid-range grunt. I haven't tried the high end but one thing the Stage 1 download is supposed to do is up the rev limit from 5500 to 6200 RPM (I think). The HD web site in US says that a download is required for the exhaust as well as for the breather kit. Here in Australia, we only get the download for the breather. I will have to get it dyna'd to make sure it's not running too lean.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The BigShot Staggereds are awesome Dave... mine are sitting on the dining room table waiting to get hung........ too cold out right now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts