V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a totally stock 1996 electra glide with only 3000 miles for $11500. Perfect condition. I am 6 foot and the stock seat is very tight and my legs feel cramped. It is a very tempting bike to buy for both day to day use and touring, but I have some concerns that may not be real. Thus I'm interested in your thoughts.
This is the last year of the evo. Is it hard to get parts for the bike as a whole? What is the realistic top touring speed without mods?
Basically how does the bike compare with the twin cam or the new 96 for performance, fit and part availabiltiy? Am I really just pushing too hard for a good deal on an old bike. Would it be better to simply get a newer bike. Money is a factor. Thanks for your thoughts and I realize that there isn't a right answer, but I would welcome the thoughts of you in particular those who have had the evo and the newer bikes.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
youre the only one who can answer whether the bike is right for you or the deal is a good one. you need to live with it and if youre having second thoughts or there are comfort issues they may haunt you as long as you own it.

the evo engine was used until 1998 in all big twins except softails which stretched it until 99. there are enough of them on the road to gaurentee parts production by someone for a long, long time.

i'm a big fan of the evo engine because of its a proven reliability. it doesnt perform as well as the twin cam if for nothing else because the twin cam has 10% more displacement in its 88 inch form and 20% more in the big version. you cant beat numbers. the question you need to answer is....is it enough for you? its enough for quite a few of us out there without any complaints.

what do you want and how do you want it?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well 98 was indeed the last Evo bagger and for that money I'd be looking for a newer bike with TC88,I've owned both Evo & TC baggers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts