V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 120. I was wondering if you guys have had any issues with them. I think due to the nature of the beast it might not want to start easy when it's hot.(battery cables?) I'm putting it in a RG and would like to get at least 4 years service out of it . I ride 7-10,000 a year. They might last way longer, I just don't have a clue. I will be increasing compression to 11-11.5 to one, cams to be s&s 640s, FI motor. I'm sure by the time I get 30,000 on it hell I'll be wanting to change something around anyway. If any of you guys have one of these motors I would appreciate any imput you could throw my way. I drove one this past weekend and can't get it out of my mind.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
I've only had mine for about 6 months, so I can't really speak for longevity. So far, though, I've put about 6000 miles on it and I've had no problems. It still runs pretty hot, which freaks me out sometimes when I see 260 F oil temps, but I haven't had any heat management issues.

Mine is stock, with only about 10:1 compression, but starting hasn't been a problem with a stock starter. You definitely need to use the compression releases, but other than that mine starts up right away every time. I figure when I burn out this starter, I'll go to a 1.4kW. But I don't know if it really needs it. I had more trouble with my higher compression 95" than I've had with the 120", and the 120" runs quieter and smoother.

Even stock, it's a ton 'o fun.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I've got ~7000 miles on mine since the 1st of December. I already had the SE 1.4 kW starter from my previous HO 95 inch build.

I've had no problems and TONs of fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine isn't running yet due to EFI fuel mapping issues. I understand the carb motors are tougher on starters than the EFI bikes (if you can actually get it running!!). I put a tech tornado 1.8 kw starter in mine. I also was concerned about heat managment (05 eglide) I have the stock oil cooler, and put on the Harley accessory fan.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Another real sweet, smooth, motor are the TP series. Tom Perone TP Engineering has worked out every conceivable quirk with EVO and TC style motors. He builds one real sweet motor!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys!

Snaps, Have you experienced any oil consumption problems?

rickr01 I think I'll stick with a Jims since it looks stock.

wyodude, Any oil comsumtion issues?

Price of my 103, a lot
Leaving that geek on his BMW with such ease while driving the RG with a 120 PRICELESS. He had this **** eating confident look on his face and that 120 smudged it right off. Frankly I think it blowed his damn mind. **** that was cool. {salute(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jfritz, what map you trying

Jfritz, what map you trying?

I just got a 120 and am about to buy EFI, what route did you go and what mapping software?

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
ReynoldsS said:
Thanks Guys!

Snaps, Have you experienced any oil consumption problems?
Nope, none so far. I've been changing the oil every 1500-2000 miles and haven't had to add any yet between changes.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snaps,Cool, thanks man. I really don't want to put a oil cooler on it but might have too. I always worry about one of them blowing a line running about 80 on the interstate and frying your motor. A parade fan might not hurt when you get caught in traffic which I avoid like the plauge, but sometimes **it happens. Man I bet you're enjoying it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cgustafs
Using the SERT. I have a couple of canned maps that TMAN gave me but they aren't working too well, burbles and pops and fouls plugs. No dyno tuners in my area so need to take a trailer trip. HP inc 56mm, boarzilla pipes, stock delphi ECM

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
jfritz_drfritz. said:
Cgustafs
Using the SERT. I have a couple of canned maps that TMAN gave me but they aren't working too well, burbles and pops and fouls plugs. No dyno tuners in my area so need to take a trailer trip. HP inc 56mm, boarzilla pipes, stock delphi ECM
Check out the Thundermax ECM distributed by Zippers. My EFI bike purrs like a kitten and runs flawlessly. All it takes is $$$$. :cool:

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
jfritz_drfritz. said:
Cgustafs
I was using the SERT and a canned map from HDMaps for a while in the beginning. It ran just okay with a lot of stumbling and hesitation around certain rpms. Like you, I couldn't find a tuner in my area that wanted to mess with it. So I took a trip to Daytona during bike week and had Zippers install their ThunderMax package for Jim's 120's. Bike's been running great ever since.

That's an option for you if you get tired of trying to find someone to tune it. The package included a 54mm tb and manifold, Zippers aircleaner with backplate, ECM with a pre-loaded map designed for their setup, and tuning software. I also installed a D&D Boarzilla, but they have a map for True Duals also. One thing to note is that their package is designed around a "stock" Jim's 120".

I didn't need to change anything in the map. Dyno'd a bit higher than before and rideability was really improved...no more stumbling and hesitation and a fun torque curve.

I know the stock ECM and SERT is more than capable of being tuned for these motors. But finding a tuner is another story. This is just another option.

Edit: Looks like Wyo beat me to it.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
ReynoldsS said:
wyodude, Any oil comsumtion issues?
Under normal riding conditions, no.

I recently rode to Boston and back for a business meeting.

I rode hard for 10+ hours each way. I changed the oil when I got home. Comparing the volume of used oil with that of a previous change (placed in 1 gal jugs), there is a small volume difference. Maybe a few oz. No much. Certainly nothing to worry about.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
jfritz_drfritz. said:
Cgustafs
Check out the Thundermax ECM distributed by Zippers. My EFI bike purrs like a kitten and runs flawlessly. All it takes is $$$$. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts