V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Road King and am thinking about putting 16" apehangers on (Chubby's). I'm 6' tall so I think 16's fit me well. Since it's such a big expense (labor, cables, etc), just wondering if they're are any negatives in handling or comfort. I do a lot of long rides for several hundred miles at a time and don't want any aches and pains because of the apes. Also wondering how it affects cornering & handling. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I cant answer you in regards to long rides but i put 12.5 chubby's on my 02 fatboy and love them.To me atleast the handling,manuverabilty and cornering is alot better than the stocks that i had.I'm 6'2" and the 12.5 are perfect for me i could of gone 16' but just opted for the 12.5's.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I tried out a guys RK with 13" Carlini's. They were 1 1/2" instead of the normal 1 1/4"... sure looked better. He swore by the comfort, but he was no more than 5' 11" I'd say.

·
Registered
454 Posts
bars

The closest thing I've had to apes were the stock bars on my BMW R1200C and I didn't like them at all so I switched them out for much lower bars. With the semi-apes, I always felt like I was hanging on rather than being in control of the bike. For me, lower bars equate to more confidence inspiring handling. For an extreme example, look at the bikes that are on the cutting edge of handling and maneuverability - roadrace bikes and sportbikes. These bikes have very low handlebars. I know that part of that is to help keep the front wheel down under acceleration, but that additional forward weight bias also aids handling in turns.

That said, apes do look very cool and I can imagine them being comfortable. To each his own, though.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I am 6 feet tall. Used 2 inch risers. For me, 16 inchers are perfect! My hands are about even, or maybe a 1/2 inch or less below my shoulders. On my old set-up, after 10 minutes or so, my fingertips were getting tingly and numb. With the new bars, I rode about 100 miles or so, with no numbness what-so-ever. I did have a little strain in my forearms, but I'm sure that will recede as I get used to the new bars.

Comfort-wise, this is the best money I have spent!

·
Livin the dream
338 Posts
18x1.5 on a road king for ya. Im 6' and like them. I dont think they are the most comfortable bars you could have but hell....

·
Registered
185 Posts
There are going to be negative consequences when it comes to the handling. Sitting with your hands/arms high is not the best position for handling/manuverability. Furthermore, apes will give you a less direct feel in the steering.

Personally I've never found apes comfortable. Riding with my arms high is not my definition of comfort, but I know many people disagree with me.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
ghjohnso said:
I have an 05 Road King and am thinking about putting 16" apehangers on (Chubby's). I'm 6' tall so I think 16's fit me well. Since it's such a big expense (labor, cables, etc), just wondering if they're are any negatives in handling or comfort. I do a lot of long rides for several hundred miles at a time and don't want any aches and pains because of the apes. Also wondering how it affects cornering & handling. Thanks in advance for your input.
Sure there are negatives to extremely high bars. On a long trip, your arms will start to ache from the extra pressure and load put on your circulatory system.

I'm not sure about handling since it's been a long time since I had ape bars. Others may comment on that. I'm absolutely certain about the aches and pains from circulatory issues with high bars, though. I've ridden them a lot of times on others' machines and I don't like them.

I run the stock bars on my 2004 Ultra and a set of low, flat bars on my old Shovelhead and both of them are very comfortable since they are relatively low.

Many people like the looks of ape bars but I suspect that they regret taking them on long trips. The real test would be a 600 mile day.

You're correct about the cost too. It could run several hundred bucks for cables and labor, especially with regard to the splicing required for the wiring. This is not counting the price of the bars.

:sofa: :whistle:

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
there is a definite dif in handling between the drag bars and hangers. comfort has to go to the drags. i am 6'1+ and found that the apes which were at direct shoulder height were extremely uncomfy riding anything more than an hour or so. the pain between the shoulder blades and below the neck just don't go away. i used to drop my head to try and stretch the muscles, but then you can't see the road! i love the apes don't get me wrong. but for me i ended up putting straight 6 inch risers and pullback drags, all in the chubby look. they r sweet lookin.

oh, another thing that may aid in a little more stabilitation is the use of polyurethane bushings in the trees instead of the stock rubber.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I stuck with the little 20's with the short 6 inch risers

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
hey jockey what r you like 7' tall pro b ball player or what? damn those r tall!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
dashooter said:
hey jockey what r you like 7' tall pro b ball player or what? damn those r tall!
Nope, just a little smurf at 5' 8".

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
jockeyshift said:
Nope, just a little smurf at 5' 8".
where r the wooden blocks you perch yourself upon to reach those bars. i gotta see a pic of you on that thing. beautiful bike by the way.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
dashooter said:
where r the wooden blocks you perch yourself upon to reach those bars. i gotta see a pic of you on that thing. beautiful bike by the way.
Thanks man. No blocks. Here ya go

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.