V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to the forum and have my first Harley. Wife bought me a '05 FLHRI Road King right after Thanksgiving.

Of course, it's not loud enough.

Here is the deal. Dealer wants $900 for SE pipes, download and stage 1 air cleaner kit with installation. Says they have to install it for warranty.
Pricing is ridiculous for something I can do myself.

I've read about the epa stuff so I'll keep my stock pipes in the garage just in case, but what will be the best choice for good slip-ons and taking care of this fuel injection re-map? Is there a pipe I can put on without re-mapping?

If I need to re-map, what is good choice for this that's not ridiculously expensive? Revtek DFO? I don't want something that sends fake signals to the ECM.

Thanks for all input.

Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did the SE pipes, air cleaner, and remap to my 05 FLHT. My dealer said if they didn't do it, the warranty was void (the remap can only be done by the dealer-direct line to Harley). It ran good except the popping drove me nuts, so I put the stock pipes back on. Dealer said the 05 remap only covers the air cleaner change. To get rid of the popping, I would need to get a Harley Race Tuner or a Power Commander, and a few hours on the dino. If you're getting pipes and air cleaner, don't get the remap. Spring for the race tuner.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Pipes

You can pick up some great deals on Ebay. I got my air cleaner, pipes and power commander there. Way less than retail prices. What is your bike but used parts anyway.. did get the power commander new...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a new '06 Electra Glide Classic last November, and I just completed my 1K break-in period a couple of weeks ago. When I took it in to the dealer for the 1K service (all lubes/filter changed, primary drive check, transmission check, cables lubed and adjusted, etc), I also had them to download the Stage 1 ECM flash, install a set of Kerker K3 slip-on mufflers, and install a K&N replacement filter. (I didn't like the way the Screaming Eagle Stage 1 air filter does away with the back of the housing, exposing half the filter to rain/natural elements/wash water. So I talked with the dealer's master tech and he advised me to just keep the more rain resistant, enclosed OEM/stock filter housing and use a more free-flowing K&N filter.) I am very pleased with the small step up in performance and the Kerkers play that beautiful "Harley music" -- that good old sound that only HDs are able to make. I chose the Kerkers for their deep rumble when you accelerate and they are reasonably audible during steady crusing. The fit/finish and quality are very good too. You can buy them with your choice of end caps for around $300. Good luck in your search and choices.
--Sojourner.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
get the slipons and a/c, then get sert, thundermax, or another tuner of your choice. total cost is about the same, yu just get better product--performance.
example--
thunderheader, $400
race tuner or thuindermax, $400
a/c, $100

you do the math!!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
All the info you'll need is here....

There's a post on this site about doing the A/C for a bunch cheaper than your favorite HD dealer. Also look for the Ness Big Sucker which will also be cheaper.
For the pipes, get to an event and listen to a few bikes to see what you like.
On the fuel adding, there are probably 3 main things that you'll find here. SERT, Power Commander or DFO/TFI. Do a couple searches, see how much you want to spend and how much "upgrading" you plan on doing.
Going on the frugal side, you could do Wild Pig Pipes for $165, an A/C for about $100, and DFO for under $200.
$400 for the whole she-bang ain't too bad!?

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
If you intend to have "a modest" upgrade, let's say just aftermarket air cleaner and aftermarket mufflers, there is NO need for expensive SERT. I would suggest you to go with DFO since the DFO is easy thing to use, and you will get EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE via internet/Dobeck's web site.

I would never suggest anybody to buy SE slip ons/mufflers (read this: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-65583.html).

My experience tells me that "combination" of SE (or Kuryakyn Hypercharger) aftermarket air cleaner + RevTech/Techlusion DFO + Wild Pig Pipes/Mufflers works good.

But, wait for other replies, since there are so many possibilities.

As I have said, this one is good (for me).

Good luck and keep the rubbers on the ground. And welcome to the Forum. Post often. Ask whatsoever you want to know, someone will answer, that is for sure.

Best

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

P.S.
Warranty is always an issue and problem: put an aftermarkt mufflers for better sound, when you need to see you dealer, put back your stock mufflers, that is 10 minutes job. Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Here's my tally from my winter modifications...(did it all myself)

SERT $370
Khrome Werks HP+ Slip-on's $150
Arlen Ness Big Sucker $120, but could have bought it for $110 through the web

Total was about $650 (included the beer in the total). Took me about a 1/2 day to do everything (not difficult, just follow the instructions and make sure you have a good torque wrench). Fired right up and sounded 100x's better than stock.

Do it yourself...you'll be glad you did!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Good, very good. 100x's better than stock? I am so glad to hear that. Congrats and enjoy your bike!

All the best.

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Registered
580 Posts
I went with the Kurayken(sp) twin velocity a/c and Fullsac mufflers along with the TFi module from dobeck ,nice crisp throttle and at 5 bills rolling,I since then have become a dist of the TFI module,old schhol wouldnot have spent more than $150.00 to upgrade there fuel needs yet we are being charged $350.00 and up to do the same thing ? did they change the internal workings of the internal combustion motor and no 1 told me?

·
Registered
762 Posts
emirharley said:
I would never suggest anybody to buy SE slip ons/mufflers (read this: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-65583.html).
Sounds like the set of pipes you purchased was defective. I has a pair of SE slip-ons on a 2001 FLH Standard I used to ride. I never had a problem in the 23K miles I owned the bike.

My '05 Ultra Classic will retain the stock pipes. I love the sound of performance pipes; however, even with ear plugs, they're too noisy when you're trying to knock down 500-mile days.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Defective or not, I paid more than US$ 1,000.00 for these mufflers, and now three years later they are in the garbage. And several letters to Harley-Davidson Europe and USA and - no reply. What would you do?

The only thing I have is to keep bitching against Screamin' Eagle Perf Muffs as long as I breath........and to enjoy other H-D good quality parts, like oir cooler is, or other parts!

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Registered
762 Posts
Try calling Harley's Customer Service Department. You can find the phone number on the company web site.

You think you've got it bad.... Last summer, my '05 Ultra Classic developed a problem with porous engine cases with only 3000 miles! The Motor Company took care of the problem under warranty. However, I had to kick and scream to move the process along. The process involved removing my motor and replacing the cases with new ones. Pretty sad considering I spent $22 large (USD) for Harley's "flagship" model.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Yeah, I sent several letters to Mr. Peter J. Simet, Customer Service Department (starting in June 2005), and no reply, of course. Also, I phoned several times, but even though I phoned from Europe (expensive phone calls), I had to wait for more than 10 minutes (every time) and I did not get ANYONE to talk to. You know, the lines are busy, there are others waiting in the line...........(...."please wait.......please wait......please wait......please wait......".....).......

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! I've been doing research and everything posted in this thread now and I'm really having difficulty deciding. A friend with a '06 Ultra got the stage 1 upgrade with a/c, download and Harley touring pipes. The sound is okay but doesn't impress me over much. Too high pitched.

Right now I'm getting some new stock pipes that have had baffle work done to them off ebay for $119. The particular stage I bought is supposed to be suited to Road King riders and he say's no download is required. Apparantly it is mostly sound. If I like the way it sounds I'll go for some similar pipes and keep my stock if there is a warranty issue. I'm also thinking about a Revetech DFO/Stealth.('05 Road King EFI)

I've read some pretty good review about it on this forum and I have found it brand new on Ebay for $169 with free shipping.
Sound like a decent deal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
DIY Time

The Harley exhaust question is a good one - what does one spend and what will it buy - will I be happy - warranty considerations - etc etc. Anyway, here's what I finally have settled-on: Vance and Hines Ovals (you gotta hear these before you buy anything, imho), their True Dual headers (you'll lose a little torque but your wife will bless you with a cooler right leg), and the V&H "Fuel Pak" - the Fuel Pak is basically a bandaid for those of us who don't want to have their bike dyno'd or don't have a laptop. While the ultimate is probably the SERT, there isn't anyone nearby who knows enough that I could trust to set one up - it has a 138 page manual (which I have downloaded) and it is extremely complicated for the average wrench. The fuel pak is effective and can be installed yourself in 20 minutes tops. Hard to beat the price - $199 on Ebay. Of course, if I decide to modify the engine (head work, 95", etc etc) then my story will change, but for now, I could do everything myself and learned a little at the same time. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
tscott31 said:
Wow! I've been doing research and everything posted in this thread now and I'm really having difficulty deciding. A friend with a '06 Ultra got the stage 1 upgrade with a/c, download and Harley touring pipes. The sound is okay but doesn't impress me over much. Too high pitched.

Right now I'm getting some new stock pipes that have had baffle work done to them off ebay for $119. The particular stage I bought is supposed to be suited to Road King riders and he say's no download is required. Apparantly it is mostly sound. If I like the way it sounds I'll go for some similar pipes and keep my stock if there is a warranty issue. I'm also thinking about a Revetech DFO/Stealth.('05 Road King EFI)

I've read some pretty good review about it on this forum and I have found it brand new on Ebay for $169 with free shipping.
Sound like a decent deal?

That is for sure. Go, get it. You'll be pleased to have it installed! Trust me, I know what I am doing (related to this issue).

Best

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
The SERT is a good choice if you like to play with things.

I have had excellent response using the Dobeck TFI and the Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" airbox/filter conversion, it is relatively low cost AND you can tune out things AS YOU RIDE. Say you are on a trip and the temperatures drop lower than you expect, you get ALL KINDS of popping on decell how is the SERT going to help you now??

With an adjustalbe EFI box you can make the needed adjustments and ride on.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I went and bought a S.E. Air cleaner and a S.E. Race Fueler.(H.D.'s version of a DFO) There are 6 pots on the race fueler instead of 4. I guess you can fine tune it alittle more? Anyone have some experience with these that has some input? Instructions for tunning were kinda crappy. Mostly playing it by ear.

I installed them and it's running good but when it gets really warm outside,(I'm in Phoenix) my buddy said he could here alittle pinging when I take off from a stop. Pipes are running alittle clean. ( Got some new stock pipes with the plugs drilled off ebay.)

Still trying to decide on slip-ons. Went to the dealer with wife and checked out used bikes with different mufflers. The wife said the S.E. slash-down performance mufflers were very loud.(On another road king)
Fired up a soft tail with V&H Longshots and she liked the sound! Don't think she realizes both pipes with be on the same side under the right bag.

Anyway, any help or suggestions on the race fueler would be appreciated. Also anyone running longshots, how do you like them?

Thanks.

Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts