V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the scavange system a while back and everything's always worked great. My question is whether or not the riveted liner should be removed from the hub to allow more oil to get into the roller bearings. I'm missing it's purpose.

Anyways, when I pulled my clutch tonight I noticed my liner, a black plastic version, had become detatched from the hub and has just been 'floating' around. Wouldn't it's removal be helpful now that oil is being flung all around by the clutch basket. I know this is happening 'cause I've run it with the inspection cover removed.:)

BTW- I'm ordering a new clutch hub assembly this week. It took 2 nights of pulling to get it off for an inner primary removal. The factory hub puller wouldn't do it. Bolt threads started to strip. I then began using a standard puller and bent up the back plate. It took 20 minutes of propane heat to the hub section, surrounding the tranny shaft, to finally pop it off. What a great moment that was.~!Awesome!

Thanks for any input.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Ka-Ka said:
I removed the scavange system a while back and everything's always worked great. My question is whether or not the riveted liner should be removed from the hub to allow more oil to get into the roller bearings. I'm missing it's purpose.

Anyways, when I pulled my clutch tonight I noticed my liner, a black plastic version, had become detatched from the hub and has just been 'floating' around. Wouldn't it's removal be helpful now that oil is being flung all around by the clutch basket. I know this is happening 'cause I've run it with the inspection cover removed.:)

BTW- I'm ordering a new clutch hub assembly this week. It took 2 nights of pulling to get it off for an inner primary removal. The factory hub puller wouldn't do it. Bolt threads started to strip. I then began using a standard puller and bent up the back plate. It took 20 minutes of propane heat to the hub section, surrounding the tranny shaft, to finally pop it off. What a great moment that was.~!Awesome!

Thanks for any input.
The riveted plate forms a seat for the clutch basket when the clutch is engaged. If you remove it, you will immediately score the inner race of the clutch basket as well as your clutch hub. It will also be noisy when engaging and releasing. Additionally, it will sit in the wrong place, too far in. It's definitely supposed to be in there.

When you seal the primary in your shovelhead, you only need about a cup of oil...up to the bottom of the clutch basket when the machine is level. I run ATF but you can use almost anything. The plates will get oil on them but they won't slip, at least mine don't...but then, they've only been running in oil for about ten years so it may not be long enough of a time. :)

(I wonder where your rivets went.....gulp)

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
What he said above. And I'd also grease each one of the bearings, at least that's what I always did. Sounds like you've got way too much primary lube in there. I always measured 6 oz.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(I wonder where your rivets went.....gulp)
Thnakfully they were all still atached to the steel hub plate.
you only need about a cup of oil...up to the bottom of the clutch basket when the machine is level.
When I changed it over the local builder said to use 1 cup(8 oz). It's been trouble free for tens-of-thousands of miles. I don't know when the liner became detached but at least I now know it's purpose for being there. I thought it's only role was to help keep grease inside.

It's actully one of the few early-84's with the 3-bolt, dry-clutch settup bolted to an Evolution. I posted here because of the Shovel era clutch settup.

Thanks.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Ka-Ka said:
Thnakfully they were all still atached to the steel hub plate.
When I changed it over the local builder said to use 1 cup(8 oz). It's been trouble free for tens-of-thousands of miles. I don't know when the liner became detached but at least I now know it's purpose for being there. I thought it's only role was to help keep grease inside.

It's actully one of the few early-84's with the 3-bolt, dry-clutch settup bolted to an Evolution. I posted here because of the Shovel era clutch settup.

Thanks.

Right, I've seen a few with the Evo engine, four speed and kickstarter. Neat setup to have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts