V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up? I have a 2002 RK that is carb.ed. I plan on going with a stageI setup. Would it benifit me to go with an aftermarket ignition module? If so, which one and how does it increase performance? What is meant by single and dual fire systems? Now lastly, am I correct in assuming that you should upgrade the coil? Any information is appreciated. I have a limited understanding of this and would like some insight. Peace, J.T.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Don't waste money and time. There is nothing wrong with the stock ignition on a stage 1 bike.
The TC's are all single fire anyway.

On a built engine a programmable module allows you to program the advance curve to match with software not unlike the PC software.
The best ignition module at this time is the one made by Daytona Twintec and the best software and support is from HQ. (several companies sell the Twintec ignition, but they all have proprietary software)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike is carberated, but I guess the same advice applies. Not worth the money on a stageI setup. Thanks for the info. HIPPO. Your advice is priceless.
Hey, you have a RK, right? I'm thinking between the Bassani, Hooker, and Sampson's Rolled Thunder slipons. Any advice on these? I won't go into the subjective view of sound. I want it pretty loud and sweet sounding, but don't want to loose low end torque. I've read on other posts that you mentioned that most of the exhaust pressure comes out the right side. Do you have to take that into consideration when choosing aftermarket pipes? Thanks again. With the advice I get here from knowledgeable people on the forum, I'll be able to put my kids through college or at least have enough money for beer on the weekends! Actually, I wish you were close by.....I'd provide the rack of Warsteiner, as long as I could pick your brain for information about bikes. The wait is KILLING ME until I get mine!! J.T.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
With carbureted bikes you have more freedom in picking pipes (same BASIC advice applies)
You worry too much, pick up the bike, ride it for a while, look around and listen, and then decide what you want.
Lots of guys out there buying all sorts of $hit that end up not being able to catch a stock bike.
Used to have a King, now have a BUFF* (Road Glide).

* big ugly fat fu(ker

RTS FTS

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dual fire ignition system really means that the coil is dual fire which means it fires the ignition sparkplug on EVERY stroke - even the non compression stroke. A single fire coil fires ONLY on the compression stroke. It used to be that dual fire was cheaper - didn't have to figure out which stroke the piston was on but the plug is sparking twice as much and maybe wears out sooner. Dual fire also burns any remaining fuel in the non compression stroke - so a cleaner overall emission - but this firing causes the engine to work against it self. So which is better - single fire or dual fire?? That becomes a real debate.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry.........I guess your right. Just excited to get it modified the way I want it and am satisfied with it. Thanks. J.T.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
[So which is better - single fire or dual fire?? That becomes a real debate. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think there is little dout that single fire is the best for performance no debated needed.
Form a epa standpoint on a low compression motor you got a point but the ERA is OK with the TC single fire so what does that mean?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The myth of dual fire ignitions ranks up there with the "Harley oil" only
and the FatBoy solid wheel myths......

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Dual fire is cheap, single fire is smooth. Well, in comparison.

No difference in performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts