V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing the 3:37:1 gear change this winter on my Road Glide which has a Stage II build. I mentioned the gear change to a friend that is having his Road King motor built this winter and the Harley shop talked him into doing the SE primary gear change (40200-02) which is a 21 tooth primary sprocket and a new chain. The cost is $134 and the install is easier.

My question, what are the advantages, disadvantages of doing the gear change as they recommended?

Thanks,
Rocket Jockey

·
05 FLHTCI
345 Posts
It is easier and cheaper but...

Most reviews from those that installed the SE primary kit have said that it is too much for the street on anything other than a bar hopper. It is something near 3.70 instead of 3.37. 3.37 = about 200 rpm increase at 60MPH. 3.70 is much higher. Depends what you want, how much highway riding, etc.

Do a search on 3.37 and see all the posts about it with RPMs, part numbers, ease of installation, etc.

David

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Rocket Jockey said:
I am planning on doing the 3:37:1 gear change this winter on my Road Glide which has a Stage II build. I mentioned the gear change to a friend that is having his Road King motor built this winter and the Harley shop talked him into doing the SE primary gear change (40200-02) which is a 21 tooth primary sprocket and a new chain. The cost is $134 and the install is easier.

My question, what are the advantages, disadvantages of doing the gear change as they recommended?

Thanks,
Rocket Jockey
He's going to end up with 3.75 gearing ...vs your 3.37. first gear will be almost a "creeper" gear for him. No advantage I can see for a street bike. He sure wont like the highway ... 19 percent gear increase means 70 mph bumps the rpms from a stock 3.15 of 2980 to about 3550.
Let him ride yours if you really want to disappoint him.
you will be at @ 3190 at 70 with the 3.37's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.