V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much wind comes thru between the batwing air deflectors and the engine guard fixed lower fairings?? I added air deflectors to my batwing and installed soft faring lowers on my Street Glide, but still get substantial cold winter wind from the mid-point of my shins to the top of my knees.

TIA

·
Registered
37 Posts
wind

My ultra gives good protection. My upper leg fron just above the knee does get a chill for about a 6-8 inch long area. lower legs are fine. my toes do get a little cold.I think the lowers for the tour glide are different than the ultras. Probably stop more air from getting to the rider.
Rode 50 miles outand 50 back today on 95. Speeds over 70 most of the way and temps in the upper 20's. I cheat big time by wearing a gerbring liner set. Jacket and pant and socks. no glove liners. just tour rider winter gloves. Under this I wore long johns. over it jeans, a sweater and rain gear. A scarf and full face helmet are a must at these temps. At no time was I cold. Yes I do use the temp controler. This outfit extends my riding season to any time there is no snow or ice.
Hope this helps.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
RCS said:
How much wind comes thru between the batwing air deflectors and the engine guard fixed lower fairings?? I added air deflectors to my batwing and installed soft faring lowers on my Street Glide, but still get substantial cold winter wind from the mid-point of my shins to the top of my knees.

TIA
How cold can it be...........you're in Arizona.

LOL

On my last few rides home from work, it was in the mid 20's and I didn't need chaps or longjohns. The combination of the fairing lowers and batwings really cut the wind alot. But right on my knees(where the wind does get thru) it is pretty cold.

Steve

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I just traded in my first Ultra and ordered another.

The DIRECT wind will still hit your knees and the shins for a few inches

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
RCS said:

TIA
Brrrrrrrr! Cold winter winds in Tucson.:crying:

·
Registered
903 Posts
This time of year I get some cold wind from about my shins to my knees. It's about 20-30 degrees so I usually wear thermals and chaps which does the job but I'm planning on getting the Gerbing heated pants and socks as well. I already have the jacket liner and gloves which I highly recommend.

·
CROM ICE
132 Posts
On my 05 ultra i put on an Air Baffle. It bolts on the back side of the forks above the front fender. It is chrome and Harley carries it. It really pushes the air down and keeps it from blowing up around the face. I know it works good in the California heat during the summer. Sure it would work good in the cold weather.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replys.

Oh, and yea it does get cold in Arizona in the wintertime......sometimes I have to wait as late as 10am for the sun to warm up the day in order to change into my jogging shorts & tee shirt :wavey:

regards

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
You AZ boys leather up when the temps drop below 80. I know how you are.
Try the chrome air delfectors mentioned by Glacier. Help deflect a lot of wind.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Try the chrome air deflectors mentioned by Glacier. Help deflect a lot of wind"

The H-D web site does not reference a FLHX for these to be installed on. I've read "somewhere" that they don't fit due to the Street Glide turn signals.

regards

·
Cheesehead
262 Posts
Cold weather package.
05 ultra vented lowers.
Chrome fork air baffle.
Ultra batwing air deflectors.
Walrus tusks.

The tusks will just touch the 05 lowers at full lock. I have notched them at the top to completely clear since this picture. The tusks actually do more than the fork baffle but both are needed. They might be the ticket with your engine guard chaps. You should also look into an 11" flat top Custom FLHT Windshield. Eliminates buffeting, keeps hands warmer, stereo sounds better.

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
twaav8r said:
I cheat big time by wearing a gerbring liner set. Jacket and pant and socks... Yes I do use the temp controler. This outfit extends my riding season to any time there is no snow or ice.
I ride my Ultra any time throughout the Utah winter when there isn't snow or ice on the road, and like you, I use my Gerbings extensively. I got tired of having to fuss with the temp controller so I built it into my console and it is WONDERFUL!!

Check it out:http://www.conceptcreative.com/assets/misc/10.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
very clean

YoDa that is a very clean install. looks factory. How did you do it. deails and parts list please.
My only concern is having the power cord scuff the tank paint job. to avoid this I routed my lines through the backrest slot in the seat. I still have a portable controler.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
'04 and earlier lowers deflect more air than the '05 and newer. They have a vent in the '05's and up, and the top part is much different. Friend of mine has an '04, I pur '05's on my 2003 EGC, he has more wind protection than I do. Other than that our scooters are the same.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
'04 and earlier lowers deflect more air than the '05 and newer. They have a vent in the '05's and up, and the top part is much different. Friend of mine has an '04, I pur '05's on my 2003 EGC, he has more wind protection than I do. Other than that our scooters are the same.
Good point and what most of the replies did not take into consideration is he has the soft lowers which would change the aerodynamics too.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
When it's really cold and I have to go more than 10 miles or so, my knees will just about freeze solid. I hate to wear chaps to keep 3-4 inches around my knees warm, but I haven't found a better way...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gerbings install - YoDa

Very clean install, I use Gerbings as well, just love the jacket liner and gloves.

On my other bikes I use a Heat Troller and a BMW socket to hook up. I have an extra built in Heat Troller and BMW socket and I was going to install them on my 06 Ultra but was wondering where to mount the stuff. How much room is under the stock tank chap? My other option is to install the socket in the Bat Wing faring.

Right now I have the pig tail for the gear coming up through the hole in the seat for the back rest....looks a little tacky.

Kurt Nordstrom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts