V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed any gain in mpgs on the freeway since adding the 6spd? Does not matter to me if it's a Baker, Jims, or HD, I'm just looking for some numbers on mpgs improvments.

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
71 Posts
Paniolo said:
Have you noticed any gain in mpgs on the freeway since adding the 6spd? Does not matter to me if it's a Baker, Jims, or HD, I'm just looking for some numbers on mpgs improvments.

Thanks
Me too. I would like to hear milage reports and which tranny you like the best or if you have had any problems.
 

·
Lookin' for '09 FLHRC
Joined
·
84 Posts
ditto said:
Me too. I would like to hear milage reports and which tranny you like the best or if you have had any problems.
Add me to the mix too !!!!

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Well obviously it depends on a lot of things, speed, weight, wind, road surface, etc.

As a recent example we did a 280 mile poker run around the bik lake O about a month ago. Was riding 2 up and cruised at the 55-60 mph range, no wind, flat roads, in top gear as much as I could.

Went 170 miles on 4.1 gallons of 93 octane, so thats about 41.5 MPG. And I have a big bore 103 stroker RK, major modified , which before I added the SE 6 speed I was lucky if I was getting 32 -36 MPG

It was worth it for me:D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
palmeris said:
Well obviously it depends on a lot of things, speed, weight, wind, road surface, etc.

As a recent example we did a 280 mile poker run around the bik lake O about a month ago. Was riding 2 up and cruised at the 55-60 mph range, no wind, flat roads, in top gear as much as I could.

Went 170 miles on 4.1 gallons of 93 octane, so thats about 41.5 MPG. And I have a big bore 103 stroker RK, major modified , which before I added the SE 6 speed I was lucky if I was getting 32 -36 MPG

It was worth it for me:D
I could probably get 38-41 mpgs at 55-60mph under those conditions now. I'm looking to improve fuel economy in the 80mph plus range. Would a 6 speed help me there, or do I just need to slow down?
 

·
Life is grand!
Joined
·
416 Posts
Paniolo said:
Have you noticed any gain in mpgs on the freeway since adding the 6spd? Does not matter to me if it's a Baker, Jims, or HD, I'm just looking for some numbers on mpgs improvments.
Interested in an answer to this question too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I added the 6 speed to my 2005 Road Glide before picking it up at dealership, so I don't know the highway mpg before it was added. However, I used my Road Glide on a trip from Pittsburgh to Columbus, OH and back this summer and averaged around 48 mpg going between 70 - 75 mph. In my opinion, the 6 speed is really only useful if you normally travel at speeds greater than 65 mph for any extended period. Any slower and you can start to hear the engine struggle. It also makes for a more enjoyable ride due to the lower rpms and reduced engine vibration.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stilholm said:
I added the 6 speed to my 2005 Road Glide before picking it up at dealership, so I don't know the highway mpg before it was added. However, I used my Road Glide on a trip from Pittsburgh to Columbus, OH and back this summer and averaged around 48 mpg going between 70 - 75 mph. In my opinion, the 6 speed is really only useful if you normally travel at speeds greater than 65 mph for any extended period. Any slower and you can start to hear the engine struggle. It also makes for a more enjoyable ride due to the lower rpms and reduced engine vibration.
That is what I am targeting it for. My long cross country tours when I run 80mpg plus for hours at a time going from gas stop to gas stop. I know push a big batwing fully loaded at speed eats up gas.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
I have the stock 5 spd. If I keep the rpm's at 3000 or below I would get good mpg, 36- 40 mpg. 3000 is 70 mph. If I crused at 3200 or about 80mph I would get about 30 mpg. So If one was to get a 6 speed you could run faster mph at 3000 rpms and maintain the same mpg. Im riding a FLHTI just rider with saddlebags full.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top