V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and apparently nobody has had a problem installing these pipes so maybe it's me. :hmmm:

Anyway...I have the B-pipe and when I ordered it they said I should use their billet gaskets on my stock bike so I got them. I tried installing the pipes today using the recommended retaining rings and manifold clamps but there is no way this setup will work. By the time I get everything lined up it's at the end of the stud with no threads left. The SE 16 ga. pipes I had before had a ball end on them so no gasket was needed.

Sunday I'm going to the dealer to get some stock gaskets and try them. Is this the correct way to go??:huh:

Otherwise these pipes look great and weigh about 50 pounds less than the SE 16 ga. pipes I had before.

·
Woo Hoo!
178 Posts
Tom,

A bud of mine justed installed the "C" model on his Deluxe. Maybe he'll chime in here. He didn't have a problem with the gasket, however, had to go to stealer and get a new flanges, stock didn't fit.

jd

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I had to get the thinner flanges for mine ('06 Night Train) using the machined gaskets. Other than that, everything lined up nicely.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
As Wide05 indicated I had some issues with the fit of the front pipe when mounting their C style pipes to my 05 Deluxe. I've tried to paste in the URL to the exhaust thread where I posted the issue. After banging the new exhaust flange on the front pipe with a hammer (the rear dropped right on), and several hours of banging with a rubber maul, rocking, twisting, etc. the front pipe into the rear pipe I did get the thing together. The pipes look great and sound good but they are much louder than I thought they were going to be. I also think it would be nice if they sent some instructions with the things. It would have saved me several calls out there (excluding the one that went "They don't fit together!" ... "They should fit together" ... "Well they don't" ... "Well they should" ...).

There seems to be some confusion on the gasket issue, maybe it's different for different year bikes but I was told not to use the HD crushable gaskets. I took them out and only used the aluminum gasket they provided. They don't seem to be leaking based on the only sound I hear is coming out the back. I don't know if there is another test I can perform to check for leaks or not.

I'd be interested if anyone has a good SERT map for these pipes. I've tried one that came with the SERT and 3 others downloaded from this site but none were specific to the pipes. The one I have in there now runs bad when the bike is cold but does very well when it warms up. I plan to get the bike dyno tuned when I get back from Daytona.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71490

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I have the RB Racing Black Hole on my FXST and first time installation was a bear. The slip fit of the rear pipe to the collector was very tight (good for sealing), but bad for easy alignment of the headers with the the head bolts. As to the gaskets, make sure that there is nothing left of the old gasket which makes it impossible to get the nuts on. You can use the flat woven style SE type or the aluminum style RB sells, both work. I glued the RB gaskets with exhaust sealer into the headers which made it a lot easier to keep them in there.........
I replaced the cheap a$$ screw that bolts the muffler to the support bracket with a modified T-style screw which installs much easier and does not damage the mounting bracket on the muffler side.

Interestingly enough, it was much easier to put the system on the second time around.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
=kah127] They don't seem to be leaking based on the only sound I hear is coming out the back. I don't know if there is another test I can perform to check for leaks or not.
Stuff a shop rag in the exhaust pipe and listen to the front until the engine dies. Should do it.....

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Cop Stanger

By chance are your circlips going inside the flanges? Sounds kinda like you got your flanges on backwards.

I gotta b-style and it it took me a few hours to install--tight fit. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it together and had hoped this thread would slide to the next page without anybody else noticing it. :nope: The issue was me. The pipe fits great (now), sounds great and looks great. It is a bit loud in the garage and I can't wait to take it for a ride. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Cop_Stanger said:
I got it together and had hoped this thread would slide to the next page without anybody else noticing it. :nope: The issue was me. The pipe fits great (now), sounds great and looks great. It is a bit loud in the garage and I can't wait to take it for a ride. :thumbsup:
Well, the caring folks from the greatest Harley forum on earth would not this one let slip by, would they? Great that it works for you.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tx_Outlaw said:
So....... where are the pictures? :thumbsup:
It's filthy and has other stuff still not re-installed or not yet powdercoated. It'll be awhile yet. :thanks:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts