V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride the other day and opened up the bike pretty good, hit the rev limiter a couple of times, man what a blast. Anyway I started the bike yesterday and noticed it seems to be running a little rich now. I can smell the fuel and noticed it was puff a little smoke, its not bad but I can tell its there. I also noticed that the bike is running hotter and the fuel mileage has dropped off some. It doesnt seem to have lost any power or torque, or that I can tell anyway. I havent had it tuned yet, still looking for a good tuner other than the dealer around here, with not much luck, so may have to take it to them. The bike is pretty much stock. Its a 06 Night Train with the SE stage 1 air cleaner and Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggered pipes. I have the 4.5.0 SERT and running file : 141NP001-AO.MT6 . It was the closes file to how my bike is set up. Any ideas as to what I need to do to fix this little problem? I'm not ready to take it to the dealer yet, still have a few more parts to pick up before I do the 95" conv. and then take it to them, so I can arse raped. Thanks for all your help in advance. :thanks:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
06 Nighttrain said:
Went for a ride the other day and opened up the bike pretty good, hit the rev limiter a couple of times, man what a blast. Anyway I started the bike yesterday and noticed it seems to be running a little rich now. I can smell the fuel and noticed it was puff a little smoke, its not bad but I can tell its there. I also noticed that the bike is running hotter and the fuel mileage has dropped off some. It doesnt seem to have lost any power or torque, or that I can tell anyway. I havent had it tuned yet, still looking for a good tuner other than the dealer around here, with not much luck, so may have to take it to them. The bike is pretty much stock. Its a 06 Night Train with the SE stage 1 air cleaner and Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggered pipes. I have the 4.5.0 SERT and running file : 141NP001-AO.MT6 . It was the closes file to how my bike is set up. Any ideas as to what I need to do to fix this little problem? I'm not ready to take it to the dealer yet, still have a few more parts to pick up before I do the 95" conv. and then take it to them, so I can arse raped. Thanks for all your help in advance. :thanks:
I'm not a "pro" but have been educating myself from those who are knowledgeable.

At a minimum, you need to find a tuner that knows the SERT and has a dyno with a eddy current brake with a AFR stack, two independent ones would be ideal for mapping each cylinder simultaneously. You need to get the AFR under control and then with the load brake, set the ignition timing under load and adjust fuel again from there. Then, as you make future changes to the motor, you go back and have it re-optimized. This is the best way to get it right, anything else is pure guesswork.

·
Banned
313 Posts
If you think your running rich when the bike is at idle hook up the Data Mode program and record the bike at idle. Look at the data and find where it is at idle, then go into the Race tuner program and lower the VE settings in the area you identified from your recording. I would go about 3 - 5 % less and see how it does. All you need to remember is save the new file you create with a different name so you do not over right the orginal. Also I like to make notes in the file as to what I did, you know its an old age thing, but it lets you see quickly what you did the last time you changed things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts