V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brian, here's a photo of my front cylinder and piston. I can feel the ridge with my fingernail........
The engine ran well, no loss of power, no oil consumption. I pulled it apart to do bottom end work, we had PM'd about that a few weeks ago. What should I do next? Should I send them back to you?

Thanks,
Geeze.


Front of the front cylinder.



Same cylinder, different view.



Piston scored.
 

Attachments

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Around 20,000 miles and about 1 1/2 years old. I ride daily, year round.
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other cylinder is clean, but the piston skirt is all buffed shiny. No scoring like on the front piston.

UPDATE!!! Andrew from RevPerf is having me send the pistons and cylinders back to them for a repair/replace. He of course has to see them before he can give a final answer, but my feeling is they'll have to be replaced. My thought is that the cylinder may be just a few thousanth's overbored, because why would the piston skirts be buffing on the walls? We'll see just what is what when they receive the parts. They're being real standup so far about taking care of the problem. Nice guys to deal with.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
Good to see that they are taking care of you. They were very helpful for me as well when doing a 107 build a while back and I got the wrong set of rings.



(Oh, and p.s. Steve...You have an envelope getting mailed out this week for you that I totally forgot about....:))
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Rdubu said:
Must have been installed wrong!:yawn: same ol story
Not saying that is the case here. But have seen how many threads there are about guys have problems with there builds? Alot of variable, including ego.

Myself, I would like to see some high mileage 98s, before I make a decision. I am about 20.5. Geezer was around 20k too. I am sure in the reall world more caes. But would still like to see more.
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
berserker said:
Not saying that is the case here. But have seen how many threads there are about guys have problems with there builds? Alot of variable, including ego.

Myself, I would like to see some high mileage 98s, before I make a decision. I am about 20.5. Geezer was around 20k too. I am sure in the reall world more caes. But would still like to see more.
I'm at approximately 20k or a bit higher...and I'm hoping it's my imagination but I seem to have a few symptoms described by others here...just not as noticeable/pronounced................yet!
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
Geeze, just wondering if you ever did a compression and/or leakdown test? I know you weren't looking for a problem when you tore down but figured i'd ask anyway.....
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That I didn't do. I was looking at other things when I found this.
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
Well from what I see you have a issue with a cylinder that is too large now or has gone out of round. As you can see that the piston is rocking in the bore and scuffing.

Now Per Brian we are no longer to contact Rev with cylinders issues. The customer must go to them directly. We did send back another set back and we where told there was no issue. Looks like that one and it was using 1 qt of oilt to 900-1000 miles, knocking on cold start up. So i hope that they take care of the problem with your kit.

Maybe Brian will chime in ????
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Funny you mention knocking on cold start up. Last summer about, 12k miles ago, I heard a knock at start up. Heard it a few times, not all the time. Haven't heard it lately, or maybe I am just used to it.

I just went and started bike, didn't notice anything. Its not like these bikes are that quite to begin with.

But I was getting a knock that seemed to last about 5 seconds. I was thinkingh it was something with oil pressure building up. But was wondering why it started all the sudden. Though , maybe a lifter. But it sounded like it was from the left side.

Like I said, I first noticed it 12k miles ago. Which is a long time. I don't really notice it anymore,but things don't fix themselves. Could it by primary chain? Can that tick? Its the only thing that has changed.

So dunno.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
berserker said:
Funny you mention knocking on cold start up. Last summer about, 12k miles ago, I heard a knock at start up. Heard it a few times, not all the time. Haven't heard it lately, or maybe I am just used to it.

I just went and started bike, didn't notice anything. Its not like these bikes are that quite to begin with.

But I was getting a knock that seemed to last about 5 seconds. I was thinkingh it was something with oil pressure building up. But was wondering why it started all the sudden. Though , maybe a lifter. But it sounded like it was from the left side.

Like I said, I first noticed it 12k miles ago. Which is a long time. I don't really notice it anymore,but things don't fix themselves. Could it by primary chain? Can that tick? Its the only thing that has changed.

So dunno.
Don't think it's as cheap a fix as the primary chain. When mine started slapping it was the Revolution cylinders.

:yikes: :laugh: :yikes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
1711tab said:
Don't think it's as cheap a fix as the primary chain. When mine started slapping it was the Revolution cylinders.

:yikes: :laugh: :yikes:
The reason I wondered chain, is cause I have noticed it in a long time. Nothing else has changed. It was also 12k miles ago. Speaking strictly from my bowels, wouldn't it have failed by now?

I agree didn't sound like a chain, but I have never had my chain make a noise.
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spoke with Andrew, and he was very good on the phone. He's waiting to receive my parts so he can make his evaluation of them. Obviously they can't evaluate the parts over the phone.

I agree with you, Steve. Both front and rear are buffed on the piston skirts, so out of round cylinders is most likely it. I will wait for their exam and reply.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
637 Posts
The final hone can make or break an engine!!! I have seen pistons rock in their bores because of three reasons, 1-the hone went a couple of thousands to big 2-(this is were they get you) firing up a cold engine and running it before it warms up!!!and 3- detonation This is what a builder will claim to avoid warr. his work. Piston knock with forged piston is very common as long as it goes away within a few second of start up and alway get a forged piston bike up to temp. before riding!!!
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top