V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What determines the RPM at which you start the run?
You see some start barely over 1500 and some don't start until 22-2300.

Thanks!

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
I'm curious too, back to the top.

Joe

·
Banned
871 Posts
jasilva said:
I'm curious too, back to the top.

Joe
I'm interested, too. One guy I know starts in 5th gear and 55 mph.... not using rpm as a starting point. It's a good way to gauge how quickly you would be able to pass someone on the highway. 4th gear pulls show little or no difference in torque/HP from 5th gear, just a quicker accel time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like to start as low as possible to help record possible reversion and transition issues. That said, I never start a big twin run before 2000 RPM to avoid the dreaded "lugging". If you start much later than that you are almost out of the intermediate circuit and into the main circuit........Bill

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
MegaGlide said:
What determines the RPM at which you start the run?
You see some start barely over 1500 and some don't start until 22-2300.

Thanks!
I've been with Otto when tuning my motor and iirc, he gets it up into the gear for the pull and settles in around 1800 and whacks the throttle and then real shortly after hits the record button so the run starts between 2000 and 2200. I asked about it and he said much lower than that and it hammers the bottom end which he doesn't like. He also said if he catches me doing that on the street, he'll beat the crap out of me. :nono:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts