V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has changed out their foot peg on their stock shifter lever? It appears that it is threaded into the stock lever and should screw out but before I attempt it I wanted to find out if any one else ahs tried this or has an old stock lever they could try it on and let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yes, there are many different styles to choose from, look on the H-D site under motoring accessories.

JMS

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JMS, So you have changed your shifter peg on your stock lever? I already have one in mind from H-D, just wasn't sure I could remove the one on the stock shifter lever. I don't think the stock lever one looks that much better than the one they want $180 for, with a slot. But I'd like to just change the peg.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
146 Posts
I posted my alternative in the V-rod General Section

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dave, the stock peg is threaded and does unscrew but not without a fight. I had to cut the rubber off the stock peg and put vise grips on the cast metal stub and off it came, HD must use some type of loctite on that because mine was on real good. I bought an HD peg for $14.95 and used blue loctite on the thread during install, total time to take off the old peg on put on the new was 2 beers.

MarkT

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone,

I figured it wasn't going to be easy; I tried but could budge it and did want to tear it up the peg before I have a replacement. And thanks Mark I hadn't consider loctite but that is the way to go, good idea.

Dave

·
Registered
906 Posts
You will tear it up removing it...definitely have a replacement handy.

I replaced mine with a rubber/with chrome ended one and it looks great.

Loctite holds it all on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts