V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Harley, first primary service. Drained the oil, put in exactly 1 QT of Amsoil 20/50 per the manual. Noticed that if I started the bike in gear with the clutch oulled in, there was a very faint lunge as if the clutch was not totally disengaged. However, if I keep the clutch in (with the bike in gear) and rev the throttle, there is no further pull. Going to test ride, but clutch engagement and release seems fine just pulling back into the garage.

With the bike vertical, the oil level inside the primary after filling was still not up to the bottom of the clutch inspection cover. I believe there was less than 1 QT of oil in the case originally based on the amount I drained. Drained the oil with the bike on the sidestand to maximize the drain (drain plug is downhill).

It is entirely possible that it always did this (I normally do not start the bike in gear). Do I have a problem? I guess if it drives OK when everything is warmed up, then I'll blow it off as not being attentive before.

·
TL
500 Posts
Check your service manual but I believe that the spec calls for 26 ounces in the primary. Overfilling will cause clutch drag. The image in the manual showing the lubricant at the bottom of the clutch wheels is misleading. Manual doesn't say if that is with the bike level or on jiffy. If you fill to that point with the bike level, you'll be putting in way too much juice.

Try draining out a few ounces and see if that cures your lurching issue.

TL

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Draining some should cure your problem. On the other hand I have always had my bike as level as possible when servicing the primary and make sure the oil is exactly at the level shown in the manual. You always service and check your crankcase oil on the kickstand...but if I'm not mistaken you service the primary while as level as possible. While the book calls for 26 oz., I usually end up with about 29 oz. When you service it exactly to the spot shown in the manual you should have no clutch problems. I suspect that a very slight drag on the clutch is not really a "problem" when starting in gear with the clutch lever depressed. I can just feel mine wanting to move forward ever so slightly while cranking....but nothing that concerns me. I think it is just that initial shearing of oil that causes it.

Would be interesting to know if this is normal. By the way, my bike is 1995 Wideglide....with 26K on it. Clutch, shifting, and finding neutral are all optimal as far as I'm concerned.

OTTO......Help!!!!!!! :dunno:

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bike runs fine after a test ride. BTW, the manual for the 06 touring bikes calls for 32 oz in the primary, 20-26 oz in the tranny. With the bike level, the oil does not quite come up to the point implied by the drawing in the service manual.

I'm declaring victory and moving on.

Keith

G

·
I believe the Softtails call for 26 ounces, but the Touring bikes definitely take a full quart. What you describe is pretty normal for a cold bike, and since it goes away immeditely, you don't have a problem.

Harris

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
I actually measured what came out of my RKC and it was 32oz. So your good.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion in this thread just goes to show you that you have to be a little bit informative about what model and sometimes what year bike you have. Lots of differences between them and wrong info gets passed around. JMHO

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed Y said:
Discussion in this thread just goes to show you that you have to be a little bit informative about what model and sometimes what year bike you have. Lots of differences between them and wrong info gets passed around. JMHO
Good point - guess I need to fix up my sig :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
At this point, I have not had any issues putting in the whole quart! I have talked to different dealers, who say that is what they do, is just put the whole bottle in! It is not really that much extra!::sofa:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
khollister said:
Noticed that if I started the bike in gear with the clutch oulled in, there was a very faint lunge as if the clutch was not totally disengaged. However, if I keep the clutch in (with the bike in gear) and rev the throttle, there is no further pull....
It is entirely possible that it always did this (I normally do not start the bike in gear). Do I have a problem?
My bike does this too. It did it when the dealership replaced my stator and rotor, and when I did my 20,000 mile maintenance. I do not really remember it happening before because I also applied the front brake when I started the engine. Not sure why I stopped applying the front brake. :hmmm:

Hey Harris,

Doing your own maintenance sure is rewarding :thumbsup:

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
khollister said:
First Harley, first primary service. Drained the oil, put in exactly 1 QT of Amsoil 20/50 per the manual. Noticed that if I started the bike in gear with the clutch oulled in, there was a very faint lunge as if the clutch was not totally disengaged. However, if I keep the clutch in (with the bike in gear) and rev the throttle, there is no further pull. Going to test ride, but clutch engagement and release seems fine just pulling back into the garage.

With the bike vertical, the oil level inside the primary after filling was still not up to the bottom of the clutch inspection cover. I believe there was less than 1 QT of oil in the case originally based on the amount I drained. Drained the oil with the bike on the sidestand to maximize the drain (drain plug is downhill).

It is entirely possible that it always did this (I normally do not start the bike in gear). Do I have a problem? I guess if it drives OK when everything is warmed up, then I'll blow it off as not being attentive before.
Your clutch action is identical to every harley that I have owned and with my road king police bike I have to use the clutch before the starter will engage and normally I leave it parked in gear so I get this same action when the bike has set for a few days and also when it is cold. Next time you need some Amsoil give me a call as I am local here in Orlando.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just drained my primary/trans oil on my Sportster and 24oz drained out, holding the bike level. I refilled with 32oz of the Sport Trans oil and the level came slightly above the clutch spring/tooth area shown in the manual. It looked maybe 1/8" or less above the referenced mark while the bike was level....will this be an issue? Why only 24oz came out is strange, as I could visually see in the case the majority of the oil was drained.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts