V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do yall remove the seat when you wash your bike? i was thinking
it would not be a good idea to get the seat wet evey time i wash it.
what all do you do when you wash your bike? this is my first
one and i want to do everything right

·
Registered
60 Posts
It won't hurt your seat to wash it when you wash the rest of the bike. Your HD is made of quailty materials and frequent washing will keep it looking new. Use soapy car wash soap in a bucket and a fluffy wash mitt and have at it. I use a 4" wide paint brush on the engine and it gets in all the small areas. Rinse it off with the hose, and, here is the real seceret to making it easy; blow it off with your leaf blower! The blower will knock off most of the water and a quick wipe with your chamois and you are ready to ride! I can do my Soft Tail and my wife's Fat Boy in about an hour total if I use my leaf blower to do the hard work. try to avoid using a car wash high pressure hose, if you are not careful you can blow water into seals and bearings. Just my 2 cents..................Pete

·
Cruisin' Deuce
693 Posts
Bones Bike 1 said:
I can do my Soft Tail and my wife's Fat Boy in about an hour total if I use my leaf blower..................Pete

Man, I had to read that twice. if you and your wife had the others bike, that sentence would have been amusing. :D

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
My 2 cents...it takes 10 seconds to remove the seat and having it off gives better access to other dirt-collecting areas. Take it off...especially if it's an aftermarket leather seat.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If its the stock seat, there is a layer of plastic sheeting under the cover and over the foam. You can wash with no cares.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you're going to wash the bike with the seat on I'd just give it a light washing and not soak it with water. This is especially true if you get an aftermarket leather seat later on.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info. the bike i am riding
now is my bro in laws and it has an aftermarket'
seat on it. didnt want to mess it up.

·
Registered
684 Posts
hodawwg,

Something else to consider when washing your bike . . .

If you have aluminum wheels, make sure that you dry them off good. The small amount of water that collect at the bottom of the wheels will cause corrosion.

Also . . . don't use dishwashing detergents like "Dawn". They will take the wax off. Instead, use carwash detergent. That will help keep the waterspots from screwing up the paint.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
logical said:
My 2 cents...it takes 10 seconds to remove the seat and having it off gives better access to other dirt-collecting areas. Take it off...especially if it's an aftermarket leather seat.
Not relating to seats, but fixed leather bags....not easily removed. My only idea is to cover 'em as best I can with trash bags, try to be careful and then dry 'em off inside and out if they get wet while washing. Any other ideas? Thanks.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
When I had my FXR with leather bags I had heavy zippers installed so that I could remove them for washing and maintenance. It also made it easier to bring them into my tent or hotelroom. Make sure the zipper closes to the rear so there are no lost bags!

I was just trying :rolleyes: to be funny

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Straydog said:
Something else to consider when washing your bike . . . don't use dishwashing detergents like "Dawn". They will take the wax off. Instead, use carwash detergent.
I use shampoo instead of car wash soap. It doesn't contain detergents so it will not remove the wax either.

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
What do you guys do when you're riding and it starts raining? A little water isn't going to hurt the seat or the bags. Now if you want to take them off to get things cleaner behind and under them, great, but if you think the soap and water is going to harm your bike, you are nuts.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Hogzilla said:
What do you guys do when you're riding and it starts raining? A little water isn't going to hurt the seat or the bags. Now if you want to take them off to get things cleaner behind and under them, great, but if you think the soap and water is going to harm your bike, you are nuts.
Riding in a little rain is a little different than deliberately allowing your seat to get bombarded by solvents, soaps and who knows what when you wash the bike.

Yes, it is very manly to ride in the rain but spraying wheel cleaner on leather is dumb.

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you use a cleaner that's safe enough for your paint, then it's safe enough for your leather stuff. If you are spraying a wheel cleaner on your bike that you are afraid will harm the leather, what do you think it is going to do to the paint, electronics, etc???

And you're right, riding in the rain is different -- I would think it's a whole lot worse since you're getting all the crap that is kicked up off the road in every nook and cranny. At least when you wash the bike you are rinsing it with clean water and drying it.

By the way, I couldn't care less about the "manliness" of riding in the rain, but if it happens it happens. My point is that in my opinion you are TOO worried if you are concerned your leather stuff will get ruined when washing your bike.

Try S100 -- it is effective and safe anywhere on the bike. If you want to take the stuff off to get it cleaner behind and under -- great. Then you should also clean the seat and bags and put the appropriate protector on them.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
So it's agreed by everyone.......you should take the seat off.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.