V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the first performance improvements I made to my bike when it was 88" was the addition of torque cones at the exhaust ports. Got the best torque numbers on the dyno and performance feel from them.

Upon removal of the heads/exhaust, when I tore the motor down to install the 95" kit, (I'm running a SE Pro Pipe, 2 into 1 with no baffle), I didn't se any sign of adverse effects to the valves/pistons/heads from the cones. (I am also running the big V-twin style billet oil cooler.)

Question is, Since I added SBC's heads and Andrews 37'G's, could I expect the cones to likely boost the torque any as well at 95"?

Right now, during break-in, I'm not running the cones. Bike feels great from a performance stanpoint, and the 3.37's have helped as well, but I'm wondering if anyone else has ended up using the cones with this set-up to further boost low end performance?

After break-in, I'll likely return to Syn oil, and with the cooler I doubt I'll have any problems with heat, and I always run 93 premium.

Ignition module is the SE 6200 RPM. Mixture looks perfect with a 48 low/ 200 high.

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

DLR

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The tq cone is not really a item that works well first off it is in the wrong location, and you have a pipe that will use a baffle. Thow the cones away, put a baffle back in and tune it. The cones where a fix for guys running drag pipes and it really did not add mcuh tq as much as it altered the fuel curve from over scavaging. Like the washer tick in the end of the pipe.

You have a great pipe take advantage of it , put the baffle back in and go from there,

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Absolutely great advice, WRENCH!

DLR,
Torque cones, power cones, (whatever you want to call them), are nothing but a cheap fix for a bad tune or set up. They are both an anti-reversion fix that is too far past the exhaust port and a baffle too far up the pipe. You CANNOT tune the exhaust pulse wave correctly with those things in the ports because they break up the wave and do not allow the pump action of the exhaust pulse to do the scavenging that it is meant to do. If you have found that they have added power to your ride that means your ride was never tuned correctly to start with. As the WRENCH says, go back to the STANDARD Propipe baffle and tune that correctly. It's a great pipe that ain't worth much without it's baffle. Have a feeling you are after sound over performance and are simply trying to gain a little back with the TQ cones. If that's the case, disregard the above, put on a set of drag pipes with the cones, and you will have about the same numbers.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Point well taken. That's why I come here for expert advice.
Thanks, Guys
DLR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts