V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all
I don't know about everywhere, but the weather is getting near perfect for ridin' down here in Ga. Anyway here is my question. How much "clunk" is normal in a Harley trans, especially when downshifting? This is my first Harley, 2001 Deuce, and I just want to be sure what I feel is normal for the bike. When I downshift there is a pretty good thud down through every gear. I try to be sure the clutch is fully disengaged before I shift. Rpm doesn't seem to matter. I know the trans is much heavier duty than what I had before on the rice mobile, I just want to be sure it is normal before I get too used to it. Any info, and advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks-Rob

M

·
0 Posts
What you're hearing is probably normal. If you have a riding buddy who is used to harleys, have him test ride it for you. If he thinks something is wrong, take it in for service. It might need a trans fluid change. Otherwise, just keep your knees in the breeze.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
It's a Harley. Remember: Loud Shifts Save Lives. I love it when those cell phone talking minivan soccer moms dive out of my way in terror at the sound of my gear changes. Just be a little courteous around hospitals and churches. After all, you don't want to see our right to loud, clunky shifting legislated away, do you?

Dean

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
FXDeanX said:
It's a Harley. Remember: Loud Shifts Save Lives.

Dean
I gotta get a sticker that says that!

Don't worry, the Victory's clunk just as loud:eek:

B

·
0 Posts
FXDeanX said:
It's a Harley. Remember: Loud Shifts Save Lives.
Dean
Oh no! I just realized! My life has been at risk since I switched to synthetics ... ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wondered the same thing when I first started riding my Harley. "Excessive" clunking on the downshift may be caused by downshifting at too high a speed (which translates to too high a gear engagement speed). I try to use the guideline:
Downshifting into 4th: Less than 40mph
" " 3rd: " " 30mph...and so on.

Actually, I like the clunking sound of upshifting my Harley. It sends me a message that there's some real massiveness to the gearbox and is a positive feel.

Should smooth out some with usage over thousands of miles.

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Y'all, I am getting used to it already! Rob

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was surprised at the clunk myself, newest I've ever been on is Hubby's 86 heritage. I always thought the noise was because they were older bikes. Over the summer I got to demo a Road King and was surprised at how noisey it was when shifting, guess thats how it's supposed to be.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Blipping throttle on downshifts...

Due to the "feet forward" riding position of most Harley's you will definitely get a "clunkier" shift than you would on a sportbike or other machine where your shift arm is directly connected to the transmission.

With that said, it is generally a good practice to "blip" your throttle when downshifting to match your engine speed with your transmission speed. This takes some practice to do smoothly. When you are about to downshift, keeping roughly 1/4 throttle on put your toe lightly on the shifter - apply just a little pressure. Engage the clutch. Then smartly "blip" the throttle. Your foot should slide the bike into gear very smoothly and you can release the clutch. If you keep an eye on the tach it should not move at all as you release the clutch. By matching engine speed to transmission speed you greatly reduce the amount of wear you put on your clutch plates, and greatly reduce the risk of squealing the rear tire when you downshift. Of course, doing this while applying the front brake requires your right hand to do two things at once - but mastering the art of the smooth downshift while simultaneously braking is one of the hallmarks of the skilled motorcyclist.

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Y'all
I have noticed that when I am riding harder it shifts smoother. I mean If I am rolling in the throttle pretty good it is smoother. Downshifting. well that is still another story. It is better at much slower speeds.- Rob

·
Registered
985 Posts
Synthetic oil in the tranny will greatly reduce downshift clunking

·
Registered
985 Posts
I went with the Mobil 1 gear oil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts