V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Cruisin' Deuce
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still more research here.

Has anyone chromed out that silver powdered engine?

A local dealer had a Standard that they added a lot of aftermarket mods to. It looke real sharp except for that satin finish engine looked out of place against all that chrome they put on.

Thanks,

Yard dog

·
Registered
187 Posts
by the time you paid a chorme shop to remove the satin finish before chromeing you would be just as well off to buy the parts from harley to chrome the engine. They make it as a kit for around 900.00 to 1000.00 depending on the stealer. Stay away from the aftermarket stuff unless you just like to see oil leaks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You know I have a '02 FXST in Pearl, and I agree with you.

The "natural" powder coat painted engine is not something that you load up with chrome - just doesn't look right - in my opinion.

So, this color engine has been something of a challenge. Harley does make a set of satin colored replacement parts that I've put on my bike and the satin seems to mate very well with this engine.

A little related to this; does anyone have a suggestion for a really good cleaner for this engine? The light color really shows off any oil weeping and road throw-ups...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well xxxflhrci, got a picture for us? I'd like to see what that looks like? You can see the satin sets that I mentioned in any recent HD accessories catalog.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have a 99 FXST with the grey engine and I have put a fair chunk of chrome on it and really like the look. I guess it's all in one's taste. I think the Chrome goes well together. I haven't bought much aftermarket stuff, just sent out the origional part for chroming since it was waaaay cheaper and I'm not stuck with left over parts, which I still have enough of! Did the Engine, tranny 1st year, last year did the front end and this winter I'm wrapping up the rear end/swingarm. See if I can find a picture that has that in in, mostly just take pictures of chicks, not my bike!

CHEERS
FXST99

My piece of the Highway

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Here is what I did with mine when I built it up last winter. Just used engine case enamel from a rattle can. Cheap to maintain and durable finish.

·
Cruisin' Deuce
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sask-man said:
... mostly just take pictures of chicks, not my bike!

Wow, you've got your priorities in order. I mean taking pics of chicks. :D That girl with the white NYC knit cap is absolute perfection !!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just saw the SE Deuce the other day at the dealer. I didn't realize that it had the gray engine. Not sure if I liked it, but there it is. Also say a FXST that had been fully packed...had every option in the book on it. Pearl paint, solo seat, drag pipes. Looked really trick. Didn't recognize it as a standard at first. It is a 2003 and had a price tag of 30K on it. Still had the grayed out engine and looked great! But a bit pricey!!!

·
Cruisin' Deuce
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Al said:
I just saw the SE Deuce the other day at the dealer. I didn't realize that it had the gray engine. Not sure if I liked it, but there it is. Also say a FXST that had been fully packed...had every option in the book on it. Pearl paint, solo seat, drag pipes. Looked really trick. Didn't recognize it as a standard at first. It is a 2003 and had a price tag of 30K on it. Still had the grayed out engine and looked great! But a bit pricey!!!
I saw a SE Deuce on saturday. I didn't care for the satin finish engine and the gold painted frame. Otherwise, I like everything else about it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here is what I just did to mine. It has the Radical paint set from HD. All chrome was done at a local shop while we did the engine work at the dealer. Only 15 miles on it right now, waiting for warmer weather! Pete

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wow! Great looking bike! That's something I would definitely not mind riding at all. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bruuuuce,
The bars are Drag Specialities Buffolo Bars. They are 8 inch rise, 31 inches wide and 1 1/4 inch diameter. Very comfortable! Peeettteee

·
Registered
60 Posts
SeaDog,
Thanks, the forks are stock HD. The sliders came off of my 2001 Night Train when I changed them out a couple of years ago. I held on to them and had them chromed for this bike. I'll keep the 2003 sliders and put them on the next bike! The slider caps are the two piece part that HD sells, the clamp on and are held on with "O" rings. DANG, I wish it would get WARM!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
cpbuffet,
That is the stcok seat off of my 2001 Night Train. I swapped seats before I sold my other bike. The Night Train seat is super comfortable if you put the gel insert in it. My wife and I ride long legs (700 plus per day) on our trips and I don't get sore at all. She rides a Fatboy and around 500 miles she is ready to stop! Girls..........
I have found the stock take off seats, off of Night Trains for under a hundred bucks at swap meets. Throw the 125.00 gel insert in it and you'll have a seat that looks killer and feels great! Pete

1 - 20 of 25 Posts