V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How stable is it with the bike in the air?
Any side to side wobble?
I've heard the wheel clamp leaves a lot to be desired. What was your solution to that?

The HF store near me has one on the floor but it is strapped down so I can't see what it is like raised.
I may give the manager a call tomorrow to see if I can get a demo.

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
I think Horrible Freight's lift is crappy. There are a million and a half threads on this subject, try the search, but the down and dirty advice is to go to Sears and buy the Craftsman Lift.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
deucedog said:
I think Horrible Freight's lift is crappy. There are a million and a half threads on this subject, try the search, but the down and dirty advice is to go to Sears and buy the Craftsman Lift.
He's talking about the table lift....

BTW, I have heard from several that have bought them and are pleased.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am indeed talking about the table lift. I thought the reference on the wheel clamp would have made that clear, my mistake.
I already own the Craftsman lift but want something that will get the bike higher as well as safer for wheel removal.

I have already done a search on this as well and have not seen any reference to my question of side to side wobble and overall stability while raised with a bike on the lift.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
gunnut said:
Any side to side wobble?
I've heard the wheel clamp leaves a lot to be desired. What was your solution to that?

The HF store near me has one on the floor but it is strapped down so I can't see what it is like raised.
I have seen a couple of reference to it and the people seemed happy with it - for what it is.

I am seriously considering one myself - my only hesitation is that I also have an ATV that I would like to be able to use it with, but HF doesn't offer side extensions.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Direct lift I own one and they are great I have teh side ( free) and I use it for the quad as well. For those that own sleds they work for them as well. It is a very nice set up.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
The harbor freight lift was on sale for $300 till last week...$400 now.
It uses a different lift system than the scissor type found on Handy, Direct,& Superlift.
The Superlift is an exact copy of the Handy...about $300 cheaper...side tables available.
the dealer at York even offered free freight...$600 inc. ft. wheel vice.
table with dropout would be available soon.
I'll look for the business card if anyones interested

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
If we're talking about the tablelifts, then the Handy is a quality U.S. made product. Mine has worked flawlessly and is built like a tank. And if you have a problem, Handy is right here in the good ole USA. Plus, they make alot of nice accessories for their lifts. They make several models for every budget:

http://www.handyindustries.com

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Direct lift use the parts from the same supplier as Handy so most are inter changable like the pedel seal and rollers. I am not sure I would look for the best deal on a lift when you have a 800 lb bike onit and it fails . Big picture tells me if they are that much cheaper where did they make the cut to save cost?? I have not seen the suoper lift or others but for me I want something very stable ans soild when I have a bagger on it with a cost of 25K+ just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
Direct lift I own one and they are great I have teh side ( free) and I use it for the quad as well. For those that own sleds they work for them as well. It is a very nice set up.
Where did you buy it?

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
correction...Harbor freight sale is till the 28th

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
there is a write up on the harbor freight table lift in the new v twin magazine. you might check easy rider they tend to have the same articles on part reveiws in the back.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
WideOne said:
In my best Sean Connery voice, "it's crop!" Do yourself a favor and buy the Sears Craftsman. It goes on sale every other month for $88.

Psst, WideOne....:whisper:

They're talkin' 'bout table lifts. ;)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
pws said:
I have seen a couple of reference to it and the people seemed happy with it - for what it is.

I am seriously considering one myself - my only hesitation is that I also have an ATV that I would like to be able to use it with, but HF doesn't offer side extensions.
i got the harbor lift and i like it.i drilled a couple of holes closer to the front of the table to run some tie down straps thru.the u bolts that get attached to the lift were too far back and went over the footboards.the holes i drilled were 3/4 inch and were placed so the straps went between the fairing and the crash bars. now for the atv,get a 3/4 inch 4x8 sheet of ply wood and bolt it to the lift.that should be plenty strong to hold an atv.you will have to do come cutting and trimming on the plywood to make it fit the table but it will work.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I wouldn't say all harbor freight stuff is junk. I've bought some name brand power tools there, they do have a lower grade brand that looks cheap. My freind who changed my tires uses a tire changer bought at harbor freight and it works fine.
OK breifly what the vtwin magazine says about the harbor freight TABLE lift. $299 - 1,000 lb capacity - foot pump to raise took 65 pumps to raise road king. - room for dresser - only issue, wheel vise could use improvments, small surface area to the tire and must use tie downs before lifting. clamp is wheel type which is tiresome to turn by hand. - all told solidly constructed and for home shop, good value.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
gunnut said:
Any side to side wobble?

I stopped at HF on my way to work yesterday and looked at the lift...I had looked at it before, although not as closely. it has a totally different lift system than Handy, others that have the scissor type lift/air cyl.
it was stable in the raised position...they weld cross braces between the uprights in an X pattern.
as others said...the wheel vise is crap
IMO, this lift would be OK for use by a bike owner to do his own maint.
Do you only want to spend $300...buy it - if you have $600...buy the Handy copies from Superlift, American Equipment. Handy and others are $700+ and shipping.
You can buy the HF and try it...you have 30 days to return it...nothing to lose.
i might go and get one on Saturday and try it...sale is good till the 28th.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts