V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally gave up and pulled the HB-125 primary tensioner out last night - the whine/whirring noise never went away in spite of what the manufacturer promised. Guess I should have listened to Doc :) Put the stock tensioner back in, adjusted it in the middle of the range and I'm back to no noise.

My question is about the nature of the primary oil I drained out. It had a very noticable black/gray "powder" in it (almost looked like graphite) and I do not recall if it looked like this when I drained it to install the HB-125. There was no visable signs of wear on the case, cover, chain or sprockets, and the clutch wasn't slipping. I performed the clutch adjustment procedure to be safe, but is this normal for primary oil? I'm assuming it is clutch residue - there were no signs of metal particles, just this fine dust or powder. Is there something else I should check? Bike seems to operate completely normally with no unusual noises.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Its most likly clutch dust. If your paranoid, check the condition of your clutch pack. If you've got alot of miles (over 40-50k depending on how you ride), you might be due for a new clutch pack.

Another possibility is the chain was rubbing against something metal on the tensioner. Look for grooves on the metal surphases of the tensioner, as well as look at the condition of the chain itself. If it looks worn then replace it as soon as possible... If it was rubbing, that could be the cause of your noise...
Good luck...

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
@gree: I think its clutch dust. Just change out the gearing on mine and it looked kind of like what you saying. I checked the clutch pack while I had it apart and everything look good, so put it back together and new fluid and it works 5.0. I'd be interested in knowing if the chain was rubbing on the HB-125 mounting bracket, thinking of putting one on mine.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just examined the HB-125 parts. The only indication of rubbing on the metal bracket is from the plastic shoe. Furthermore, the very obvious wear tracks on the shoe from the chain are perfectly centered on the shoe. While I didn't use a mirror to inspect the inboard side of the chain, the outboard side showed no evidence of rubbing either.

Not sure why some folks say they have no noise with these tensioners, but I (and others from the comments) certainly did. For me, the noise & worry about what effect the dramatically incrreased tension would have long term was not the worth the very slight improvement in driveability. Not recommended as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
06 Nighttrain said:
@gree: I think its clutch dust. ....

Most likely clutch dust. My 1984 FXRP had the new EVO motor and the dry (oil mist) clutch. The clutch "dust" would therefore wind up in the oil tank. Part of an oil change was to flush out the oil tank with some kerosene. Kind of a PITA. The oil-bath sealed primary was a big improvement.

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
khollister, if you want to sell it, I might be interested in it. Email or pm me and let me know. How bad was the noise with it installed compared to your bike now without it?

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts