V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Limited with stock air shocks. I just bought this and it is my first touring bike. I would like to lower it a little so I can be more flat footed. Anybody know what the length is of the stock air shocks? I am thinking about putting Progressive shocks on it and was wondering if the Progressive 940's would lower the back end a little, and if they are worth the $$$. Also should I do the front forks as well with Progressive at the same time of the shocks, or can I wait for them? BTW, I will always be riding this two up. Forgot to mention that I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. Thank you

·
Registered
789 Posts
The stock air shocks are 13 inches. The lowering air shocks that HD sells will drop you 3/4 of an inch. I ran 12 inch Progressive 440s on my 05 EGC and they were decent. You'll probably get a hundred different answers to your question. Only thing I know for certain is that "It's Hell to be vertically challenged". :redrolf:

Good luck with your quest to touch the ground.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Buy a dropped seat!!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
no need to mess with suspension when u can buy seats that drop anywhere from less than an inch to more than 5" with the FBI versions.

·
Registered
789 Posts
no need to mess with suspension when u can buy seats that drop anywhere from less than an inch to more than 5" with the FBI versions.
I've been looking at the FBI Drop Seat for awhile now. For someone with little stubs for legs like I have, that drop seat looks great. I've been trying to find somebody reasonably local that has this conversion kit on their bike. I'd like to check it out in person before I buy it because it's so pricey. It really does make the most sense since you're not messing with the bike'suspension or handling. Sure would be a nice winter project....:whistle:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did purchase the Mustang Low Down seat. I didn't install it yet. Just wondering if that seat in addition to the Progressive 940's which are to lower the bike by 1" will be my ticket. I heard the 940's give a nice ride too. Should I also lower the front end by 1" with the progressive monotubes?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Sundowner seat and stock suspension on my 2010 Ultra Limited and I have no issues. 31 inch inseam and 5 foot 10 inches tall. I ride with boots that have thick soles.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I did purchase the Mustang Low Down seat. I didn't install it yet. Just wondering if that seat in addition to the Progressive 940's which are to lower the bike by 1" will be my ticket. I heard the 940's give a nice ride too. Should I also lower the front end by 1" with the progressive monotubes?
I would do the seat and shocks first and see how that fits. You may not need to touch the front end.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I have a 2010 Limited with stock air shocks. I just bought this and it is my first touring bike. I would like to lower it a little so I can be more flat footed. Anybody know what the length is of the stock air shocks? I am thinking about putting Progressive shocks on it and was wondering if the Progressive 940's would lower the back end a little, and if they are worth the $$$. Also should I do the front forks as well with Progressive at the same time of the shocks, or can I wait for them? BTW, I will always be riding this two up. Forgot to mention that I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. Thank you
I am the same size as you, 2010 Limited, Tryied the shorter shocks from Harley. They helped but the ride was seriously changed to the worse.. I put stock shocks back on. I bought a used Screaming Eagle FLHX seat, it was made to help shorter people like us.. Getting the right seat could be the answer..

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought a seat from Harley that is an inch lower and 3/4" forward. It was all I needed and am 5'9" w/30" inseam. I had some of the 1" lowering blocks in the back that I removed once I put the seat on. I saw the FBI guys at a rally and I sat on some of their stuff, and the 5" drop was like sitting on an old swayback horse without legs!!! Short people, like dwarfs could ride one of those!

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I've tried the Progressive 940s. You will sacrifice some ride quality over the 13in stock shocks. I agree with others - if you only need an inch lower then do it through the seat if possible. If you do go with lower rea shocks you don't need to change the front.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I have the 940s on the rear (12" spring shock replacing the stock 13" air shock) and the progressive gas cartridges on the front. You can install the cartridges with lowering between 1 and 2" (maybe it was 1 and 1.5). I set mine up with an inch drop. I have a 30" inseam.

Some will tell you the 940s are stiff. They are one-up but great for two-up. They are adjustable. I have mine set at 3 out of 4. The wife and I weigh about 370 combined. It would bottom out when set to 2 of 4 but haven't had any problems since turning them up to 3 of 4.

I love the performance of the fronts. The only thing bad I've heard about them (and I don't know if it's really a fact) is that you have to replace the carts every 5 years. Does anyone know if this is REALLY true?

This is the second ultra I've had and I lowered both of them 1" in the front and the rear. I think you get the most noticable change in "foot on the ground" when you lower the front. The whole ride feels much less top heavy - a lower center of gravity in exchange for a little loss on cornering clearances. Note that you'll have to adjust (as in shim and/or bend) your kickstand if you lower both the front and rear 1".

I used the 12" HD air shocks on rear of my old bike. I think these are the same shocks as are on a SG. They lowered the bike and didn't bottom out but it was like riding with a partially flat tire when going hard through a curve. It was an 03 and I had a true-track. I'm convienced it was the rear shocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts