V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to fill my gas tank for the 4th time on my heritage.... I have 237 miles on it... shouldn't I be getting better gas mileage, than this..... or is this normal... ??

·
Registered
575 Posts
Depends on alot of things like, how empty is it when you fill it? How full was it when you got it? At 183 miles I had put a total of 5 gallons in two fill-ups in. I try to fill it before I put it away so it is ready for the next ride. I have 250 on it now and half a tank left (didn't get it filled up last time out).

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Your gas mileage is pretty low but not suprisingly so since the cold temps and short hops along with a tight new engine all combine for lousy gas mileage. Average for the Twin Cam is around 40 to 45 mpg. I even get that with my hot rodded 95 incher but it's tuned to perfection and I seldom ride in the cold.

SS

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I took delivery ..it was full.... the other times ... around a quarter of a tank left.... I also have been told to keep the tank full...especially during the winter...

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'd suggest that you keep a log and use the odometer (reset at fillup) to accurately keep track of mileage and gals used at each fillup. This way you know for sure and will have some documentation for dealer in case of problem. Don't trust the gas guage anyway. They are notoriously inaccurate. Learn how your bike uses gas by using the odometer to keep track of how much you have left. Not sure but I assume the late model Heritage is still a 4 gal tank.

·
Registered
136 Posts
harleygirl64 said:
When I took delivery ..it was full.... the other times ... around a quarter of a tank left.... I also have been told to keep the tank full...especially during the winter...
That's to prevent condensation from forming in the tank. Keep it full and water vapor has nowhere to collect. One thing you might be careful of though is overfilling. If you fill it up on a cold day and then the ambient temps come up the gasoline will expand and leak out around the cap. Makes a mess. I have a buddy who screwed up the paint on his FatBoy because of this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Major, Major ditto to Agcatman's note!!!!!!!
Especially assuming you are garaging your scoot.
Even uninsulated garages are warmer than outside & it doesn't take many degrees for the gas to expand.
Leave 1/4-1/2 inch below bottom of filler neck when topping off.
bear :)

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Agcatman said:

That's to prevent condensation from forming in the tank. Keep it full and water vapor has nowhere to collect. One thing you might be careful of though is overfilling. If you fill it up on a cold day and then the ambient temps come up the gasoline will expand and leak out around the cap. Makes a mess. I have a buddy who screwed up the paint on his FatBoy because of this.
HD has been using a filler overflow tube for quite a while now to prevent this from happening. Look in the filler neck and you will see the hole to the overflow tube. It is usually routed down and back to somewhere below the front of the swingarm. I've seen lots of guys spill gas on tanks and not mess the stock paint up. If it's a well done paint job (HD is one), this should not happen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ed Y said:

HD has been using a filler overflow tube for quite a while now to prevent this from happening. Look in the filler neck and you will see the hole to the overflow tube. It is usually routed down and back to somewhere below the front of the swingarm. I've seen lots of guys spill gas on tanks and not mess the stock paint up. If it's a well done paint job (HD is one), this should not happen.
Yes, this is true. He had an older model FatBoy and I'm not really sure if it had the overflow tube or not.

Regardless, when the fuel expands it's going to go somewhere other than where you want it (in the fuel tank). Raw fuel being dumped overboard is at best a mess. At worst it is a fire hazard, particularly if the bike is being kept inside during the winter.

Now if I can just figure out how to fully fuel my V-Rod without getting gas all over as happens about half the time I'll be doing great! V-Rod mileage and endurance being what they are it sure is tough to force myself to leave some space in the tank. :)

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first time I filled up the tank.... I thought..that If not carefull ..I'll get gas all over the place... especially when you remove the nozzle, from the tank... so what I do is when I get ready to pull the nozzle out... I take the gas cap..and hold it next to the hole..and put the end of the nozzle into the cap... no drips.... works good... although...I did get gas on the paint...1 time.. but I went in the store and got a cup of warm water..and rinsed the gas off...

·
Registered
727 Posts
HG64....most stations have wipes for windshields or hands. I use them
that way if there is a drip, there is no splash. Also if there is an
unfortunate accident with the go juice, you have something in hand to
"sop" it up. Don't wipe it, just dab (sop) it so you don't leave and tiny scratches. Enjoy the new scoot, keep the paint side shiny, and the
rubber side on the road.

Cars are little, and smell funny.............dzlfitr

·
Registered
688 Posts
I usually grab 2 wipes, one to put my gas cap on, on top of the pump, and the other to nurse the nozzle to and from the tank.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What cromagnum said, I also give the nozzle a few taps inside the filler neck before I pull it out. Also check the handle on the pump to make sure it's off. I've seen several put away with the nozzle locked fully on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ed Y said:
Not sure but I assume the late model Heritage is still a 4 gal tank.
No, the '03 Heritage has a 5 gallon tank.

·
Registered
565 Posts
With any new motor the piston rings need to seat to the cylinder walls, all the motor seals are still tight, and the gears need to wear smooth with each other. This break-in should take at least 1000 miles, and all the new noises you are probably hearing will quiet down after a while. Do not over rev or abuse the motor during the first couple of months. Your gas mileage will improve significantly as the rings seat themselves. After the 1000 mile tune up you will have fresh oils and clutch adjustment, and the motor will feel more willing to rev quickly. At about 2000 miles, replace the motor oil with Mobil 1 15-50 (Walmart $4.50 qt.) and replace the transmission oil with either Mobil 1 Gear Oil or Redline Synthetic Heavy Gear Oil. These oils are not really neccessary unless you ride in hot weather or do long interstate rides, but they are better for your expensive new scoot. The service manager at Bartels Harley in Marina Del Rey California says after a Stage One upgrade of pipes, carb rejetting and K&N air filter, you can expect about 38-40 mpg at 75 mph on the highway due to the big windshield and weight of the bike. Later, Jefro.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for all the information you provided...... I need to sit and read the manuel some more...and then re -read it...

·
Registered
136 Posts
harleygirl64 said:
The first time I filled up the tank.... I thought..that If not carefull ..I'll get gas all over the place... especially when you remove the nozzle, from the tank... so what I do is when I get ready to pull the nozzle out... I take the gas cap..and hold it next to the hole..and put the end of the nozzle into the cap... no drips.... works good... although...I did get gas on the paint...1 time.. but I went in the store and got a cup of warm water..and rinsed the gas off...
Hehe, well, the glass of warm water was probably overkill. As posted earlier the occasional fuel slosh shouldn't hurt a good paint job. It is when it is allowed to seep over the same area for long periods, like a real slow leak, that is going to harm the finish.

What I hate is that last squeeze. You know the one. I've got it almost filled, and I always seem to think that one more squeeze will do it, but when I squeeze the handle the resistance makes me squeeze just a bit harder than I meant. DOH! I think it's full now! (as fuel squirts up all over the place!) :)

Jeez, I hate it when that happens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts