V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK sp I put the Boss Bags on the Wide Glide today and found out that the only way to reinstall the OEM rear signals was to drill another hole through the struts and frame to pass the wire through. Well, that ain't gonna happen so I went to Lowes to see if I could find a threaded hollow rod to use to mount the lights and run the wire through the hollow rod.... That ain't gonna work either...

So I ordered the "1996 - 2004 FXDWG Kuryakyn turn signals #2305" bullet lights from Iron Horse Trading and know after reading the info about them I find out as per Kuryakyn.... "Do not wire Halogen Silver Bullets with Red Lenses to operate as running lights unless using our Run-Turn-Brake Controller, P/N 4859. Excessive Heat will result in cracked lenses."

I have the module that makes the factory turn signals work as red running lamps and brake lights. Does this mean the Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake Controller will take the place of the HD module???? Or will I have to use them both?

Any ideas would be much appreciated as I don't want to use the ugly ass HD relocation kit... I'm hoping some of you have already been down this road and can share some light.

Thanks rpb

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Do you have the module from Harley that makes the turn signals into just brake lights? I'm not familiar with a HD module that does running lamps and brake lights for a WG. If you choose to get the Kuryakyn Controller it would take the place of the HD module.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was wondering... if it would take the place of the controller.

Just a side note... I do know of a DWG that relocated the turn signals to the back strut hole. It was done by the HD shop. Either they used a hollow rod or they drilled through the struts next to the mounting hole to run the wire. It looks good but no way in hell am I going to drill through the frame struts.

Anyone know where a threaded hollow bolt might be found? I know that Lowes doesn't have them....

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Go to JPCycles website http://www.jpcycles.com and they have an assortment of hollow bolts. I too have seen the turn signals on the last hole but they used a different set of turn signals that had the wire coming out of the mount hole on the turn signal itself instead of behind it like the stock signals do. I'm not sure where these are available but might be worth looking into.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
I was looking into the bullet lights also, my understanding is you need the Kuryakyn module because it also has a load equalizer in it and it does take the place of the HD module

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I'm going to look at [email protected] and see what they have...

I really would like to use the bigger lights if possible....

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought the boss bags and the Kuryakyn lights a few months ago myself for my 99 fxdwg. The kuryakyns are actually brighter than the stock units. I'm only using them as turn signals, however. If you want to run them as running lights, you will need the Kuryakyn kit in place of the HD kit. HD makes a relocation kit for the stock lights if you want to go that direction, see your dealer for the kit (moves them to the back hole).

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going with the bullet lights and thier turn-run-brake module. More money but should be a nice setup. Hope they get here soon, my aems are getting tired from hand signals....

That HD kit is fugly and it sets the lights to close to the bags

·
Registered
219 Posts
You'll be happier with the bullet lights, I am, and have never switched out the turn signals on any of my 4 Harley's before.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put the bullet lights on with the run/stop/turn module from Kuryakyn and I'm really happy with the look and function of them. They don't hit the bags at all and they are brighter than the stock lights. They module allows the bullet lights and the rear brake light to flash a couple of times before becoming a steady light. Hoping it helps the cages see me better when I'm about to stop. Other than the extra cash, I like the setup. Just wished the Kuryakyn module looked a little more water tight... may need to use some dielectric grease wrap it with tape a few times with electrical tape to keep the moisture out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kuryakyn bullet lights

I've mounted two below my highway bars to light up the airport...lol. My question is "can i connect both lights to the orange lead on the ass'y switch on my dash?" ?anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I've mounted two below my highway bars to light up the airport...lol. My question is "can i connect both lights to the orange lead on the ass'y switch on my dash?" ?anyone?
First, this thread is over 10 years old. Might want to start a new thread to get the best responses.

I don't have a bagger so I can't give you specific information but I'd suggest that you look at the total amperage draw of the Bullet lights and then find out what the accy circuit breaker rating is. Are they the only thing on the accy circuit? If not then you have to add that draw into the total for the breaker.

I added Bullet lights as additional lights to the front of my bike. But, I ran a separate heavy gauge wire from the battery to a relay that provides power to the lights only when the ignition is turned on. (Didn't want forget to turn the lights of and kill the battery.) I also have a push button on/off switch for the lights. I turn them off when I start the bike to make sure the starter gets all the power it needs.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts