V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is thinking of buying a new bike and does not have a motorcycle endorsement. Can anyone tell me what the driver portion of the exam consists of? Here in Texas the examiner simply follows you in a car around the streets. I know some state have a course alaid out you must complete. How does it work in Georgia?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's the online version of the Ga Motorcycle Manual - http://www.dds.ga.gov/docs/forms/MotorManual.pdf. Page 40/41 discuss the written and riding tests. I'd recommend he take MSF to get his license since that will also get him a break on insurance.

The riding test is in a parking lot with a lot of cones to test accelerating, stopping, emergency turns, and riding a curve. The examiner stands in the parking lot taking notes on each phase of the tests. FYI - they also inspect your bike, and they almost refused to test me because my rear tire needed replacing although it was still safe IMO.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The skills test isn't bad if you've ben riding a while , I know a few folks that didn't pass the first time. You can take a Riders Edge course throuh most of the local dealers and get your license that way , it's usually about $300

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
nidan said:
The skills test isn't bad if you've ben riding a while , I know a few folks that didn't pass the first time. You can take a Riders Edge course throuh most of the local dealers and get your license that way , it's usually about $300
@gree: Took it first time & didn't pass. Dude with Kawasaki 600 he had 2 weeks passed with no problem. :badmood: Something about one of my tires crossed line in curve. Came back week later and passed with no problem. :woohoo:

Lady was there taking test when I went back and it hurt to watch her trying to manuever around the parking lot to get to points where you are supposed to start each piece of test. Instructor told us no way he would allow her to pass as she was a hazard on the road. She supposedly had taken MSF course a couple of times and had not passed it. Guess she thought she had learned enough to pass the test(which is same one they gave in MSF course I took in 1983). He finally went over and talked to her and her husband. Last time I saw her, they were loading her bike back on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Ride Like a Pro III the DVD.

Buy it, watch it at least twice, go to the DMV and practice the road course.
Tell your bro to repeat as necessary.

This DVD will give him the knowledge and confidence to ride the bike like it was meant to be ridden.

I passed the road test the first time, not a single point off.

And, I used my Road King...

I wouldn't suggest buying a BRAND NEW bike for his first one, but that's a whole 'nother thread. To each their own, and I wish your brother many miles on the road.

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
Here in California, it seems every Dept of Motor Vehicles has a different lay out in their parking lot for testing, or at least changed over the years. The test I took involved just riding in between two lines in a tight circle pattern while feet on pegs. Also, the tester would walk along side me slowly, and I mean slowly, and I was to keep feet on pegs and not let them touch the ground. There were a couple of other simple maneuvers as well. When I took my test 28 years ago on a Honda 750, I thought I didn't pass because of a few minor slip ups, plus I was comparing myself with the guy on a HD EG who aced the test. He rode that bad boy around the parking while whistling and making a bologna sandwich at the same time. The tester passed me and stated he could at least tell that I had confidence and I knew my bike well. Good man!
During pretrip inspection, if he asks you to hit the blinkers, you better not hesitate and hit the brakes or clutch instead. Be a boy scout and be prepared, and use a smaller bike if available. Take a look at the DMV's in your area and check out how their test area is laid out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Took mine a few years ago. Most people here don't bother as you keep getting 6 month learners as many times as you want. It is like posted, course with cones. Cool dude state trooper was giving ours and he said I 'll try to get as many past before I have to go and turn it over to my partner, she fails over 75 percent. Guess who got her first. I lucked out. I still Had my Honda 1100, it wasn't so bad she nagged about me going too slow in the curves, but my buddy with his lower springer drug his pipes, floor board, crash bars over and over cause she kept wanting him to do the swerve at the stop light, left, then right, then left. She was sadistic. Tell him to take the riders course and bypass the patrol, or borrow a smaller trail bike. Just my HFO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
NJ Course S**KS

Here in New Jersey you have 2 choices. Take the Rider Safety course (best way to go) or go on your own and try to pass the State test. The way the State course is layed out it is almost impossible for a new rider to pass it. Anyone on a full-size bike is doomed from the start. Everyone rents these little 100cc motor scooters.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
MSF course at the Honda corporate building in Alpharetta is $150. He'll walk away with an endorsement and be better equipped to ride safely on the street.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
I saw a test done at DMV in Louisiana while I was waiting on my renewal. The officer stood on the sidewalk smoking a cigarette while the kid on a crotch rocket rode a loop around the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
LMM said:
MSF course at the Honda corporate building in Alpharetta is $150. He'll walk away with an endorsement and be better equipped to ride safely on the street.
I think the MSF or any riding course is a great idea. The more education / experience, the better.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, cause I really had to practice), the Great State of South Carolina will not substitute a passing grade in any riding course for the DMV road test.

Everyone in South Carolina that has an "M" got it from the DMV road tester.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cones in a parking lot? There must be something wrong with your state government, that makes way too much sense.

Here's how I did it in Texas. Now follow me on this, you can't make this stuff up!

You show up with the bike, another vehicle, and your buddy. The cop comes out, inspects your license, your buddy's license, your bike, and the other vehicle. Then the cop jumps in the car with your buddy. You take off on the bike. Your friend follows you, while the cop sits in the passenger seat watching you. When you hear your friend's car horn honk once, you turn right, twice you turn left. Keep in mind, you are in front, and don't know where you are going.

So your on the bike in the right lane. The cop tells your friend to honk twice and turn left. YOU"RE IN FRONT OF THEM. You think you hear a horn beep. You look in the mirror and see your buddy jump two lanes and slow to make a corner that you are already entering. You immediately jump two lanes and turn left. Repeat for 20 minutes.

I did this on a 30 degree day in downtown Lubbock in 5 o'clock traffic. People staring at a bike jumping lanes trying to get away from a horn blowing pick-up with a uniformed cop as a passenger. I wish I had it on video.

We get back and she says, you didn't yield to a pedestrian. (He was on the other side of the street window shopping!) I passed with a 98/100. I still laugh when I ride by the license office.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
When I took the GA test a couple of years ago , the tester asked if I'd ever held a license , I had in California .. he told me that is what the Ga test was based on . When I took the Cal test it was the riding around in circle REAL slow one, the tough part about the new one for most is the stop and swerve.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
nidan said:
Wow, 300?? for the beginner course? It is only 125 here, but that is not Riders Edge. If it cost that much more just to take the "HD" version of an MSF course then I would recommend just taking a local regular MSF course. Search the web for your state and you will find names, numbers, times, and prices.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I recommend the MSF course too. One thing it gives the state and idea
of how many people want to ride safely and responsibly with experience trainers. I didn't pass the riding portion 1st time either. Written test got
100%. Riding thru a bunch of cones in a large arc in a closed course isn't my idea of real life riding but all the trainging helped alot. I have had serveral close calls were the car driver didn't know I was there ( yep I got loud pipes too) and the MSF evasion advise helped. 4 yrs ago I paid $50 in MD and now state has increased to $275, I think. also took Advanced rider MSF.
Any traing is good to reduce insurance, they get alot anyhow and look at the industry capitol gains every year. why feed em more $$$$ than you have too.
Keep the rubber down and the wind in your face.....:clap:
Everyone ride safe and free.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i took my skills test two years ago in Milledgeville...it is not that hard if you are confident on your bike...this is the concept

some fat dude or dudette comes out and inspects the bike, then they set up the course...

first thing is you have to dois start off going in a straight line without crossing over a path 2 feet wide...

then you go through a curve to the right and to the left without crossing the same path...

next you have to take a 90 degree turn without putting your foot down (my bro-in-law did but the lady wasn't looking)...

then you go to this 2 foot wide track where you start off, and go straight to a green/red/green light that the instructor controls. if you see green, swerve in that direction, if you see red, you have to slam of the brakes and hope you stop soon enough...

of course, at the start of the exam, you are told that if you drop the bike or touch down with your feet, you fail...what I don't understand is how you can judge your motorcycle skills without getting out of first gear...

ask around and see you offers the best instructor...I always heard that Warner Robins was easier that Milledgeville, but I didn't want to fight WR traffic....it can be like Atlanta some days.

the funny thing about my experience is there was this one guy on a Duece that all he could talk about was how he was riding to Florida and taking off his helmet the moment he crossed over....when the instructor called him out to the course, he choked his bike down, not once, not twice, but THREE times...needless to say, he didn't get his picture took that day :loser:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts