V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2002 FLHRI, and it's all stock. The pipes are whisper quiet. I don't want to knock any houses down, but I DO want these Godawful MA drives to hear me coming, since they refuse to look.

Anyway, I've been getting mixed signals from folks who say that I have to change the air cleaner and get a download for my bike when I add on Screaming Eagle Touring Mufflers. Can anyone out there clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Depending on what pipe you intend to use and on the particular bike, it might work fine with just the pipes.

If it doesn't you need the reflash, and since the reflash is calibrated for the air intake kit you should use it also.

These bikes do not like very low backpressure pipes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the Screamin' Eagle One-Piece Slash Down Performance Mufflers. Do you know if I'd need the extra work with those?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Still depends on the individual bike, but with that type of pipe it might fly. One way to find out.

On the other hand doing the pipes and the intake and reflash is the way to go as you gain some performance for your money. With the pipes alone, even if it works, all you get is noise. You'll never feel the couple of horses the pipes alone may make.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Steve,

I have the same bike as you. Based on advise from this board, I did just what Hippo is suggesting you to. I had the Stage 1 and reflash done before I picked up the bike, therefore I can't tell you the difference from stock, but I am happy with the performance. I have since put on the SE performance mufflers on my bike and I am very satified with the sound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed the SE performance pipes with the stage one kit. I am VERY satisfied with the performance and the sound. Went with te billet end caps, I have got alot of compliments on the sound and looks of the pipes. This is just my 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts