V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I could not find it. I just received my Quest 2, and have installed it with the RAM handlebar mounts. I plan on switching it between bikes and car. Nice little unit, but I find the screen a little hard to read in daylight.

My question is: How do you load the HD dealer sites into the Quest 2?

David

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
you purchase a program like mapsource from garmin. you load it in your pc and then you add places or points of interest onto pc then download to quest 2. you can upload routes saved on the quest 2 back to pc also. this is done on a usb cable provided. :whisper: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Todd,

Thanks. I should have figured you would have to spend more money somewhere. I guess with the Q2 having most of the maps preinstalled, Garmin does not give you the software.

David

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still a little confused on this. I was just on the Garmin website looking at the maps. Which one exactly do I need to get. Am I looking at spending an additional $75 for this?

David

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
i got the city navigator, north america v7. you might contact garmin first, but this is how i understood it.:blink:
by the way, it's alot cheaper through internet sources.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Dave, the viewing in daylight should not be a problem if you are using full backlight...you do have it hardwired to the bike and not using battery power right? Also the HD dealer list only comes with the HD version of the Quest. On the Quest 2, you would have to manually add the addresses for the HD dealers manually. You should not need additional software to do this, since any address can be added manually via the unit itself.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
HD dealerships

Just saw this info on another post. I don't if it would work on the Quest 2, but it might:

For those using Garmin 2720/2730 GPS units. Here is a link to all HD dealers in the USA, Canada and Mexico, in POI (waypoint) form, comlete with addresses and phone numbers that you can upload to your Garmin 2720/30: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=38618 Just scroll down the first page to DEALERSHIPS to get the Harley Dealer upload.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Blusideupp said:
I'm still a little confused on this. I was just on the Garmin website looking at the maps. Which one exactly do I need to get. Am I looking at spending an additional $75 for this?

David
Call Garmin----the software is free.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll give Garmin a call today. The thought of manually inputting all of the waypoints does not sound too attractive. Thanks Jerry, for the tip about the background lighting. I am using battery power. I do not plan on hardwiring the unit to my bike. I bought the Quest so I could easily move it from bike to bike, and car. Yesterday I noticed that when I unplugged the GPS from the AC charger, the background lighting dimmed just a bit. I thought that was interesting.

David

·
Registered
838 Posts
The brightness level of the backlighting is adjustable. I don't even use it in the day time. If you have the backlight cranked up and don't hard wire it to the bike, your battery will be used up for the day rather quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
There's no need to buy other software or maps.

You can get a free download of POI Loader from Garmin at:

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=927

The POI's for Harley Dealers are available for download at:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38618

Scroll down to the Harley dealers. FYI - this site also has POI's for a number of chain stores and restaurants.

Install POI loader on your PC. Download the POI zip file, extract the files, then start POI Loader and install the POI's to your unit.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
I downloaded the HD dealership POI a couple weeks ago and tried to install in on my Quest. Wouldn't see it to even download. Talked to Garmin and the HDdealership database will only download to the HD version of the Quest. Guess they have the database restricted to only certain mac address' or they have it configured in the BIO's. Have tried every trick that I can think of....if you figure out someway to make it work I'd like to know so I can download it to mine. :huh:

o~\o

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
joystik said:
I have a Quest II and downloaded them just fine. They show up as Custom Point Of Interest.
Well, guess that's what I get for buying the cheaper Quest and not the Quest II. I try to download 'em to my Quest and it doesn't reconigize the DB.

Ah-h-h-h, what the heck, HD will probable be selling the DB here soon for any GPS unit for $100.00. Why wouldn't they want you to know where the dealerships are?

o~\o

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Joystick,

I believe I have been able to download the list into my Quest 2 (at least the Garmin POI loader says I did), but I can't find them anywhere. There is no catagory of Custom Point of Interest. Where exactly is this list located? Thanks

I also spoke with Garmin today. They are backordered, but the kind woman said she would send me the software.

David

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
HD Dealerships into the Garmin Quest

I converted the HD dealership list into a format that can be opened by
Mapsource. Once in Mapsource as waypoints, they can be easily downloaded to the Quest. If anyone can tell me how to attach a file to the forum I would be glad to share the file with anyone, else shoot me an email at [email protected] and I will send it to you.

Jerry, Chattanooga, TN

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
tnharley7 said:
Just saw this info on another post. I don't if it would work on the Quest 2, but it might:

For those using Garmin 2720/2730 GPS units. Here is a link to all HD dealers in the USA, Canada and Mexico, in POI (waypoint) form, comlete with addresses and phone numbers that you can upload to your Garmin 2720/30: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=38618 Just scroll down the first page to DEALERSHIPS to get the Harley Dealer upload.
Yep, I just uploaded all the info into my SP 2720 successfully. Cool.......
I just like to take a moment and say "Thank ya" very much to Mr Hansen? for working so diligently to bring us Garmin users this information without having to give the MoCo a dime............

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally broke the code and was able to load all of the dealers into the Quest 2. Thanks to everyone for the help.

David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts