V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a set of Kuryakyn mirrors for my RK. I like the fact that they offer them with convex vs flat mirrors. However, several years ago when I purchased aftermarket mirrors for my Dyna (don't remember which brand) they became loose in the socket after a few months and generally were of lessor quality than the factory mirrors. Does anyone have any experience with Kuryakyn? (I ride probably 20k miles a year).

Any other brands which offer convex glass?

thanks, greg

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
My friend has a pair on his Road King for almost two years now with no problems at all....

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
gbenner, I have a set of Kuryakyn mirrors with the convex mirrors. I think the quality is good, they stay good and tight. I think for small mirrors like I have the convex helps the rear view and of course the convex minimizes any effects from vibration. I have had them on for two years.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really appreciate the replies. Plan to order a set tomorrow, along with the turn signal/running/brake light kit mentioned here a couple weeks ago.

greg

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Gbenner, What mirrors you thinking about ordering? I've been looking at Kuryakyn myself.
As far as the lights are concerned, if you're looking at the Panacea LED lights, you will be definitely pleased with them. I've had mine on a 2001 RK for about 4 months now and THEY ARE NOTICABLE.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unome, I ordered the Magnum with the large head (their term) and the standard stem (about 3 1/2 ", close to stock placement), with convex glass. Actually called to confirm the convex glass because no way to specify it when I ordered. Price was $59/pair. The HD mirrors seem to run nealy 3x as much, guess I'll find out if they're that much nicer.

Also ordered the gizmo which converts the rear turn signals to running lights as well as add'l brake lights (got red lens from the dealer). Really like that idea as well.

greg

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
gbenner said:
The HD mirrors seem to run nealy 3x as much, guess I'll find out if they're that much nicer.greg
I find it hard to believe that H-D stuff is that much nicer in a lot of cases. Especially for $160 which is what the 'Aluminator' mirrors from H-D cost.
Let me know about the Magnums because those are same ones I've been looking at for my RK.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kuryakyn "Magnum" mirrors

-gbenner-

I have those exact same Magnum mirrors on my Fatboy and they seem to be of very good quality and they also look great. A friend has the Kuryakyn "Ellipse" model and he thinks they may be a little too small and wishes he went with the Magnums, although they look great as well. Good luck!

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
otterbob said:
kinda off the subject but where are kuryakyn products made? it matters to me.
otterbob, No information available on their site. And I no longer have the boxes my Panacea LED lights from them came in.

Why do you ask? Majority of H-D studd is now made overseas(Boots - China, Vests-Pakistan, etc.). If wanting to buy American, I can understand but is sure is hard to nowadays. H3ll, go to Wal Mart and check out their stuff. They pride themselves on posting how many American jobs they save but most of their stuff is from oveseas also.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought SET OF THE MAGNUM MIRRORS,SHORT STEM BUT FLAT GLASS NOT CONVEX, THE FIRST THING THAT HAPPEND IS i THREADED IN THE MOUNT BOLT BEFORE MOUNTING ON BIKE, WHEN I LOOSEND THE BOLT THE THREADS CAME OUT... SO I RETAPED THE HOLES GOT A NEW BOLT AND MOUNTED THE MIRRORS. i PEELED THE PROTECTIVE BLUE FILM OFF THE MIRRORS AND THE LEFT ONE HAD A BLOB OF GLUE IN THE CENTER OF THE GLASS, i TOOK A STRAIGHT RAZOR AND WENT TO REMOVE THE GLUE AND THE MIRROR SCRAPED OFF THE GLASS. NEEDLESS TO SAY THEY ARE IN MY SPARE PARTS BIN NOW AND I BOUGHT A NEW SET OF HD STD MIRRORS. NOT IMPRESSED WITH KURYAKYN QUALITY

·
Registered
108 Posts
My shipping notice from Kuryakyn shows Country of Origin for each part. Korea (mirrors and grips) and China for shift lever. Mirrors are ok - insides of the holes for the girders aren't perfect, but they're ok. The shift lever was cheesy and didn't even fit. That's going back. Done with Kuryakyn. Sorry, would rather pay 3x for good quality HD stuff - no matter where it's made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts