V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Screaming Eagle II slip on mufflers, I like the look but could do with some more sound. If I put on the Python or cycle shack slip ons would this increase decibels, anyone had any experience?.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Macca7275 said:
I currently have Screaming Eagle II slip on mufflers, I like the look but could do with some more sound. If I put on the Python or cycle shack slip ons would this increase decibels, anyone had any experience?.

Do you have the tapered, baloney cut or the turnouts?

From what I hear, Cycle Shack makes the slip ons for Harley's SE mufflers. If you arleady have the baloney cut, it should be about the same as the SC. If not, get the SC baloney. Consensus is that these are pretty damn loud. They also have a removeable baffle, where the others do not. Baffle removal should yield more sound, at the risk of performance loss though.

The Cycle Shacks are a bargin to boot at around $100.00

Peace,

Ross

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Cycle Shack USED to make the aftermarket pipes for HD, SE is their own entity now. They are much louder and a little deeper than SE's. I don't regret getting them at all. IMO, that's what HD's are supposed to sound like anyway. I have the slash cut baloney's. Yes, the baffles are removeable, but why bother. They are plenty loud and you retain some of the performance. Also, at a C-note or so, they are a steal. Check out the prices on these things! Wow. It only took me 20 min to install them.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
I had the SEII tapered on my FXDL and replaced them with the Cycle Shack. Way louder and notice no difference in performance. Also way cheaper.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Habanero Kid said:
Cycle Shack USED to make the aftermarket pipes for HD, SE is their own entity now...
Hi Hab,

Geez, I really hate to argue or disagree, but I'll have to in this case. Harley (SE) doesn't manufacture the headers or the mufflers. Much like they don't make the carbs, suspension, and seats etc. Depending on the part, they are either made to their own specs or are finished in-house from raw blanks.

Take a close look, you will see foreign sourced parts. Of course, this really isn't a huge secret. Even from SE.

BTW, are you a spicy food fan? To me, if it don't make you sweat, it's too bland.

Peace,

Ross

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Baloney cut, do you know where you can get the Cycle Shack mufflers? . If they are louder then I would go with them.

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Macca7275 said:
Thanks I assume that I can put them Shot Gun style as I have at the moment as they are slip on.
Just consult the application guide. Call if needed. The worst thing is to get a great thing and find out it won't fit your pipes. Just in case, you never know.

Peace,

Ross

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Ross said:

Hi Hab,

Geez, I really hate to argue or disagree, but I'll have to in this case. Harley (SE) doesn't manufacture the headers or the mufflers. Much like they don't make the carbs, suspension, and seats etc. Depending on the part, they are either made to their own specs or are finished in-house from raw blanks.

Take a close look, you will see foreign sourced parts. Of course, this really isn't a huge secret. Even from SE.

BTW, are you a spicy food fan? To me, if it don't make you sweat, it's too bland.

Peace,

Ross
Right, It didn't come across like I meant. Dealers used to sell folks the CS because there wasn't SE yet. So, that's what went on a lot of bikes. Now they want their share of the aftermarket buisness, so they push SE parts. I agree that most parts are outsourced then assembled at the plant.

The hotter the better !!! I'm on a "Red Savina Habanero" kick right now.
This stuff will kick you in the pants and let you know you ate something. I just made Habanero Oatmeal Raisin Cookies not too long ago. {YUMMM}
:eek:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Habanero Kid said:
The hotter the better !!! I'm on a "Red Savina Habanero" kick right now.
This stuff will kick you in the pants and let you know you ate something. I just made Habanero Oatmeal Raisin Cookies not too long ago. {YUMMM}
:eek:
I'm in for sure! I love real Thai food also.

Peace,

Ross

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Hey Macca.
I run the Cycle Shack Baloney Cuts.
They are LOUD as H**L. I paid $98.00 for them at one of my Local HD dealers. One of the other nice parts about them is that you can remove the baffle and "tweak" the packing to get a different sound.
Call and ask because several dealers keep em on "the back shelf" for request only.
Took 20 Min to swap out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On a '00 Heritage, I went from stock to SEs to Python IIIs. The Pythons sounded the best. They were the complete exhaust, not the slip-ons. I got them through a local HD dealer in Pittsburgh. They weren't cheap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Dynatherapy,

I assume you do not lose the cross over. Did you do them yourself?.

I appreciate all the feedback from all

PS I use to live in Thailand, love the spice, bring on the Chilly.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Nope.
You loose NOTHING and no changes forward of the clamp that actually holds the Can on the pipes.
It was Quite easy. You loosen the clamps that pinch the cans onto the pipes and then remove the connector brace under the pipes with 4 nuts and remove the brace and set it aside. Then you GENTLY (dont want to damage the crossover or header gaskets) wiggle the cans off and replace the clamps onto your new cans and slip them on. Then replace the brace to ensure proper alignment of the brace mounts and leave the nuts a little loose. When they are aligned and set to your satisfaction you tighten the clamps and then tighten the brace nuts. Put a good 2 coats of Glaze or your preferred wax on the pipes before you fire it up and then let the wax heat in. DONT aloow fingerprints or grime to be on the new cans when you fire it up cause it is MURDER trying to get them off. Wax those Pipes :)

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Heres what they look like installed on the OEM pipes

·
Registered
679 Posts
NICE two tone pipes.

That's a sweet look. I bet you're the only one in your area that did that.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
CS slipon's baffle modification link

There is an article on http://www.sportster.org/tech/exhaust-gc/ about exhaust. It refers to the CS slip ons. Dynatherapy was talking about a baffle modification and there is a link to the baffle modification for these pipes on the page above. I don't think you would gain any HP, but you would gain a little DB. I would think that the baffle would be the same in all CS / (Slash Cut) application and not just Sportsters. Any way, it is interesting reading.

Jockeyshift

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Great Link Jockeyshift.
Thanks for the Info and link!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts