Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at adding/replacing the following on my '03 Heritage:

Headlight Nacelle
Upper & Lower Chrome sliders
Combo HD Tach/Speedo
Grips

How involved are these to do? I've never done it before and was hoping someone could give me some info. on how difficult these are to do. I would say my skills as a mechanic are good, by now means expert.

Thanks in advance.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Grips and tach are no-brainers for someone mechanically minded. (do you really want to be looking down between your legs when you get curious about how close you are to redline though?...i've never seen any need for a tach on a harley)

The nacelle is just time-consuming.

The sliders however are major surgery and i think you need special tools.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Naah, even the sliders are DIY stuff if you know how to read a manual and have reasonable mechanical ability. The special tools can be made with 5 bucks worth of PCV pipe from Home depot.

·
Registered
575 Posts
What about adding a passing light kit, relocating the turn signals and adding a detachable sissy bar and luggage rack. I have my first bike on order and was wondering if I need to have the shop install......

John

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I started off thinking that I would have the dealer do everything just because I have never worked on a Harley before, but now I am thinking otherwise. This forum and the people on this forum are awesome. Thanks again!

Charlie, do you have any pictures or instructions on how to make the special tools needed to do the sliders?

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
It is worth asking the dealer for a quote....some are pretty cool about not hitting you with a bunch of labor costs for a batch of stuff that goes on at delivery. i got pipes, air cleaner, nacelle, passing lamps, windshield, remap the EFi, all 3 lamp trim rings, and I forget what else for $200 total labor....al that would have taken me a ton of time on a day when I would be dying to ride the new bike.....worth asking.

And the after that, unless it's warranty stuf....I never let them see it again.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Other then snap ring pliers and a long Allen socket for the sliders all you need is a seal installer.
Look at the picture in the FM, all it is is a piece of pipe where the ID fits over the fork tube and the OD fits in the slider.
For ocasional use PVC is more then good enough. If you want to flatrate the job you can split the pipe in half longitudinally so as to be able to put it over the fork tube without removing the tubes from the triple trees.
If you have never done it before just take the extra time and follow the manual.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've done everything you listed myself (except the tach). I like the sense of accomplishment I get by doing my own work. And I'm cheap.
Don't forget you will need a lift to work on the front end. Other than that it is just changing parts which isn't too difficult.

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
I just got my 03 FLSTCI Friday and have installed some parts already. This is my 7th HD and most things are easy and straight forward. If you are not sure it's best left to an expert. I had the dealer install the wheels, spocket, stage 1 kit, pipes and the download. Also the mini tach( I installed my last 1) to get a year warranty. The labor cost here in CA is on average $70 an hour.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wait for a rainy day, get a manual and do it yourself. It's only lust till you touch the soul then it's love. Besides think of the trinkets you can buy with the money you save on labor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Id hate to pay $32 for a guy to put on grips on my bike...except for the forks...im pretty sure you can do those things yourself...part of the fun is going to the shop and buying all those yummy chrome tools!!!

just in case you want to do the forks yourself, just make sure you have the service manual on hand....

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
NCFatBoy said:
I guess my dealer is offering a good price on labor then, $32/hr...... Or maybe it's just a California thing... :D
If your dealer is offering only $32.00 an hour to do the work, then let them do the work when you first purchase the bike and the warranty on your items when purchased with the bike will be for the length of the warranty on the bike!

We pay (oouch) $80.00 an hour here for labor:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts