V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Enjoying a great Ride.
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys have switched to Nitro in your tires. Well there sales pitch is how much better it is for your tire's, less heat build up, also told me you never loose pressure in the tire's. Well I tried it in my Road Glide. Before a long ride to the keys I decided to ck the pressure SOB the rear was down to 25 and the front was 26. I really couldn't tell from the ride but the lose in gas mileage should have been a hint. has anybody tried it.

·
Enjoying a great Ride.
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks post#18 in your first link was seem to explain things, just surprised I lost that much pressure in maybe 6 weeks time, ill be checking it weekly.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Another ridiculous gimmick & scam. Been using air for,OH,a hundred years or so with no problem. Everybody just lookin' for new ways to keep their hands in your wallet!

·
Registered
765 Posts
If nitrogen was free or maybe a $1 a tire, it would be worth it. But, it's not worth it at $20 a tire. Pure nitrogen is an inert gas, it has a very predicable expansion as it heats up, com paired to air, which varies by it pressure by the amount of water vapor in it.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Thanks post#18 in your first link was seem to explain things, just surprised I lost that much pressure in maybe 6 weeks time, ill be checking it weekly.
The only thing between you and the road is the contact patch on your tires. You need to check pressure every time before you ride!

It's part of the "pre-flight inspection" -- along w/ suspension, tire condition, oil, controls, lights.

Someone at the shop filled w/ nitro and then wouldn't add air to his tires. That sort of defeats the whole point of filling w/ nitro so the tires don't lose pressure -- because "Nitro molecules are larger than air and so don't migrate through the rubber."

Air is free. I have a pump w/ a pressure dial. It's part of the pre-flight inspection.

:coffee:

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,762 Posts
I was real worried about hitting bumps, until I realized y'all were talking about nitroGEN.

joe

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
How many of you guys have switched to Nitro in your tires. Well there sales pitch is how much better it is for your tire's, less heat build up, also told me you never loose pressure in the tire's. Well I tried it in my Road Glide. Before a long ride to the keys I decided to ck the pressure SOB the rear was down to 25 and the front was 26. I really couldn't tell from the ride but the lose in gas mileage should have been a hint. has anybody tried it.
If your tires are leaking they will lose pressure. It wouldn't stop that from happening so it seems you misunderstood it's purpose. The advantage of nitrogen is the pressure doesn't increase or decrease with temperature changes just as Mark9 stated. And since nitrogen doesn't hold moisture the inside of the wheels won't corrode.

·
Registered
81 Posts
asked a suspension guy about air vs nitrogen when he recharged my racebike shock for me. he said air is mostly nitrogen and the real problem is with moisture in compressed air . if the air were completely dry it would work fine in a shock and is nearly as stable as nitrogen as temperature changes.also said most racers that fill their tires from nitrogen bottles; do so mostly to avoid the moisture problem. have heard of some exotic car manufactures filling tires with Argon. my dirtbike weighs 247lbs before they but 15lbs of air in each tire :p hmmmmm helium .......

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Air in rear shock

I've been building dirt bike shocks for 20 + years for our race bikes and you can not put air in the rear shocks of dirt bikes! If they're charged at the right pressure and you ride then hard or race them they will blow up, seen it many times, air expands too much with heat, and the rear shock on a dirt bike can get hot enough that you can't touch it without getting burned. Someone gave you some wrong info, get rid of the air and get it charged right!! Rick

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry should have made it clear that I was not considering charging the shock with compressed air, the point was if the air was completly dry, no moisture content whatsover it wouldn't be a problem. not suggesting anyone charge a shock with air.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
15 psi of air doesn't weigh 15 pounds. In fact air has very little weight to it at all.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Oh ok, just making sure you knew that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought you were talking about Nitros Oxide. I know where that air went to you party animal. Ha ha.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Road Rash,....I've heard that if you fill your tires with nitros oxide, your bike will be a lot faster...but only for short trips! LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts