V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bike up to Daytona yesterday and had the guys from Zipper's install the ThunderMax EFI kit on it along with a Boarzilla 2 into 1 pipe. The kit and pipe really made a huge improvement on my Jim's 120"

I never could get the tuning right with the SERT amd the map I had from HDMaps. Not saying it can't be done, just that I couldn't get there. I had some really annoying driveability issues at steady cruising speeds and the power, while it was good, just didn't feel as strong as I had expected.

The ThunderMax kit changed all of that. The first time I was able to whack the throttle really took me by surprise. I was used to the acceleration I've always had with this motor and wasn't at all prepared for the increase the new combo gave me. Snapped my head back, for sure, and I came close to losing my hold on the grips. I've got a much steeper torque curve now making things much more fun from the line.

The best part for me though, is that all of my steady throttle driveability problems are gone. I had a lot of surging and hesitation around 3000-3500 rpm with the SERT map that I just couldn't get rid of, but with the Zipper's ECM and map it's smooth as can be. I can actually cruise at 2500 rpm now if I want. I could never do that before. It also runs great right from a cold start, whereas I used to have a lot of hesitation for the first few minutes of riding.

I haven't had much chance to get into the included tuning software, but it sure looked impressive at the booth. It doesn't look like I need to change a thing in the map, though.

I can't say enough good things about the Zipper's guys. When I first emailed John about the kit last weekend, he actually emailed back within about 30 minutes and then took the time to call me at home to talk about it. This was on a Sunday while he was trying to get ready for Daytona. Once I decided to go ahead with it, he gave me his cell number and told me he'd have everything ready to go when I got to Daytona.

True to his word, the first thing I saw when I pulled up to their booth was a big box with my name on it. They started the install 20 minutes after I got there and had me up and running about 3 1/2 hours later for my trip back. He even took the time to call me at home today to see how things were working. All of the guys took the time to explain everything to me and patiently answered all of my questions.

I took the bike down to my local dealership today as they were curious about the kit as well. They put the bike on the Dyno for me to get a base run and I've attached the 5th gear roll on - 124.6 hp and 127.1 tq.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is your motor stock as it comes from Jims otherwise? What did they tell you from zippers about how the ECm will respond to variations in altitude since the thundermax system doesn't use the harley MAP sensor?

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, stock Jim's motor, no mods...yet.

I live in Florida so altitude changes aren't really a concern for me, but the Zipper's ECM has a built in baro sensor for automatic altitude adjustments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another question if you will - did you use the zippers throttle body as well? is there anyone besides zippers and daytona twin tec with experience in tuning these? What do you think of the boarzilla pipe? Noisy?? (I guess that is 4 questions actually - my J120 was just installed - being heat cycled - so I don't know much more than that at the moment)

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jfritz_drfritz. said:
Another question if you will - did you use the zippers throttle body as well? is there anyone besides zippers and daytona twin tec with experience in tuning these? What do you think of the boarzilla pipe? Noisy?? (I guess that is 4 questions actually - my J120 was just installed - being heat cycled - so I don't know much more than that at the moment)
I used the Zipper's 54mm throttle body that comes with the kit for the 120. I figured if I was going to go with their package, that I'd use it the way they set it up. That's also the reason I went with the Boarzilla pipe, as they have their map set up for it. They have a map for Rinehart True Duals also.

Before I did this I had a HorsePower Inc 51mm tb on there with a V&H ProPipe. I used those originally because I already had them and was trying to save a few $$.

The Boarzilla is definitely louder than the ProPipe. It's also got a deeper, rumbling tone. I liked the ProPipe but I like the Boarzilla a lot better. I don't think it's TOO loud if I work at taking it easy on the throttle. I'll ask the neighbors in a couple of weeks.:brows:

As for others doing tuning. The ones you mention are the two I was looking at. I don't know of anyone else offering a package like Zipper's, but if you have a good SERT tuner in your area I'm sure that would work, too. I just couldn't find anybody who could get it dialed in. The map I was using from HDMaps was originally written for the Zipper's 54mm throttle body. Maybe if I had had that to begin with it might have worked better.

What throttle body and pipe did you put on yours? If you're not totally commited to it, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Zipper's combo. Wyodude's got the same package on his. Maybe he'll be along with a review also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TR put the 57mm kuryakyn TB on at my request, then took it off again because it wouldn't fit properly (confirmed by kuryakyn that this will not work), so I ended up going with the 56 mm Hp Inc. TB. Plan on taking it to world class tuning (Doug Lofgren) for the final tune. Using the Boarzilla pipe.~!Awesome!

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought SBC was using the Kuryakyn 57mm tbs on his 120 builds. I'm kind of surprised it won't fit.

Would you mind posting your Dyno after you get it? I've never seen another from an actual build and I'm curious how it would compare.

I took it out today for about 3 hours....way fun.:woohoo:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will do. Interestingly, TR has a dyno on his website with a 57mm Kuryakyn TB assembled by latus motors. He told me when he tried it that he just wasn't happy with how it fit and felt that airleaks were ultimately going to be a problem. The difficulty seems to be that the Wild things TB was designed for the OE harley and the Jims motor is fractionally taller which I gather makes the manifold too short. Someone on another board told me that Jims makes a spacer that can be used for this application. Unfortunately I suspect that my dyno results compared with yours may be comparing apples and oranges since I have the Harley 6 speed which sucks up some Hp and Torque.(how much is debatable) I will post dyno results on the HTT site since I don't know how to do it here - prob in april sometime:whisper:

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jfritz_drfritz. said:
I will post dyno results on the HTT site since I don't know how to do it here - prob in april sometime:whisper:
Cool, I'll watch for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts