V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a couple of the flag style tire pressure monitors for my RKC. I know, I know, how lazy can I get? The answer is pretty lazy. I figure it's way better than what I used to do, which was nothing.

Anyway, I got a 36psi for the front and a 40psi for the rear. The rear monitor went on easy and works great. The front one went on easy too but the clearance between the end of the monitor and the right side caliper is like 1/16 of an inch or less. That looked a little scary to me. Just too close for comfort, so I took it off. The front is easy to get to with a tire gauge, so that's what we'll do.

After my flat tire experience and the expense, I'm a little better at checking the tires.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I bought a couple of the flag style tire pressure monitors for my RKC. I know, I know, how lazy can I get? The answer is pretty lazy. I figure it's way better than what I used to do, which was nothing.

Anyway, I got a 36psi for the front and a 40psi for the rear. The rear monitor went on easy and works great. The front one went on easy too but the clearance between the end of the monitor and the right side caliper is like 1/16 of an inch or less. That looked a little scary to me. Just too close for comfort, so I took it off. The front is easy to get to with a tire gauge, so that's what we'll do.

After my flat tire experience and the expense, I'm a little better at checking the tires.
While I applaude you for paying more attention to you're tires I have reservations about pressure monitors. I know these things have been on the market for years now and have probably been updated a thousand times since their conception but when they first came out they seemed to create more problems than what they were worth. I'd be interested in a severce report a month from now about any problems( hopefully none) and the brand that you're using.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not about to bet my life on a $5.00 gadget, but as long as it shows green and the tire appears to be fully inflated I think it should be fine. I'll remove the monitor and check with a gauge once a month or so, or sooner if something doesn't look right. The front tire is easy to get to with a gauge but the rear is a pain. Unless it malfunctions and leaks, it should serve it's purpose even if it only gets me to pay more attention to the tire.

If it leaks or craps out in any way, I'll be sure to post it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brain Fart

The moniters are comming off and going in the trash. I've read enough negative comments to make me realize that I screwed up. Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
I think I'll stick with high quality aluminum caps and checking the pressure every time before I ride. Not that much of a big deal and it's important. You just have to have a suitable gauge, a compressor handy and a suitable air stick attachment. On the road I check daily too, including a visual inspection. The tires keep me from coming into contact with the road. I'm not anal about a lot of stuff, but I like to keep tabs on things that can keep me alive.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Why did you remove the pressure sensors? If these guys told you to jump off a building would you do that too? I do what I feel is best, not what others say.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why did you remove the pressure sensors? If these guys told you to jump off a building would you do that too? I do what I feel is best, not what others say.
I thought they sounded like a good idea at first, but after reading all of the negative comments about them I gave it a bit more thought. There was not a single positive comment about the monitors, all negative. I figure that if they were any good at all that there would be a percentage of riders defending them. I didn't take them off because other guys told me to. I took them off because I realized that I had made an error in judgement.The first red flag should have been the fact that bike shops don't carry them and you have to get them online. I made a bad 10.00 investment. End of story.

And no, I don't jump off of buildings. (Usually)

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
It's funny I just read a thread here about the pressure monitors and there wasn't much love for them. Since tire pressure is critical on a bike it probably is best to toss them.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I wouldn't rely on them, but I think they are a good idea, if they warn you of flat.

I was changing a tire, after riding home on the interstate, found 1 1/4" zip screw in the tire. What if I would have put on another 100 miles or so that day?

Do you guys check your air every 100 miles? If not I might have had an accident on the interstate.

If they give you a warning, I say leave them on. Doesn't hurt having them on.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
checking the pressure every time before I ride. .
Do you actually do this?

I am usually in a rush to get out of the house and to work in the morning.

Your not a Sunday rider are you?:redrolf:

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
Do you actually do this?

I am usually in a rush to get out of the house and to work in the morning.

Your not a Sunday rider are you?:redrolf:
No, I'm retired and I ride a lot. I'm never in a rush and highly adverse to "scheduling." When I first retired many tried to "schedule" me. They don't any longer, they know it's futile. Even when I was working I was rarely in a rush. I know how to manage my time.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
The moniters are comming off and going in the trash. I've read enough negative comments to make me realize that I screwed up. Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments.
Good move. These things are extremely dangerous for 2 wheeled vehicles! At least when they fail ( and they WILL ) on a car you have a CHANCE of coming to a controlled stop!

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Wait a minute...........are you twice as safe with one monitor on as you are with none? I'm just asking.......:cya:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait a minute...........are you twice as safe with one monitor on as you are with none? I'm just asking.......:cya:
I was only going to use the rear one because of the clearance on the front being so tight, but they're both history now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts