V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried one of these? Can your finger fit the small button and open the door? Seems like a good idea to be able to lock the cap when away, but at $24 + shipping I would like to know if I can use it.

Also, is there a difference in the 08 with the 6 gal tank? the book doesn't list this item for an 08 so I don't know if the lock mechanism has changed for this year or not.

Thanks

Tom

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Dont know if it will fit the 08 or not.....But, i was not happy with mine, and i eventually took it out. It changed to the push button with no lock and love it.

The problem i had was the cheesey spring they give you with the kit to keep it open wouldn't spring up after a month. I would bend it out and it would work for another time or two...

The lock wasnt improtant to me. If you think about it, no other HD bikes have lock except for the FL's....JMOI.....

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
TXCHOP said:
Dont know if it will fit the 08 or not.....But, i was not happy with mine, and i eventually took it out. It changed to the push button with no lock and love it.

The problem i had was the cheesey spring they give you with the kit to keep it open wouldn't spring up after a month. I would bend it out and it would work for another time or two...

The lock wasnt improtant to me. If you think about it, no other HD bikes have lock except for the FL's....JMOI.....
That's kinda weird. You might have gotten a bad piece of metal. I've had one on my 99 for at least 7 years and about 110,000 miles and it still works good.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
It's more a technique thing to get it to pop open than the spring pressure.

When I open mine, I press the center and pop my finger off it quickly and the metal tab lifts the door just enough to get a hand on it to open it up - the door does not pop way open.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I had no problems with my 06.

Last I checked it was not available for the 08, it is different.

Chris

·
Registered
120 Posts
Like mine !

You have to like any accessory that you get as a christmas gift from the kids. That said, I wish I had the new cap that looks like the fuel door. Way cool idea. Don.

·
112 Posts
93FLHS said:
You have to like any accessory that you get as a christmas gift from the kids. That said, I wish I had the new cap that looks like the fuel door. Way cool idea. Don.
Help me out 93FLHS. Which cap is it that looks like the fuel door?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fit

I emailed the vendor, he said it won't fit an 08. I will have to wait for them to do one for the new rides.

Waiting for a few other parts as well.

Thanks for all the info!

Tom

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
all you have to do is push the button in and push on the bottom of the door and it flips open. You don't even need the spring for it to work. mine is over 3 years old no problems.

·
OWOF
1,077 Posts
I had one on my Electra Glide and loved it. I am patiently waiting for it to be available for the 08's.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
TXCHOP said:
.........The problem i had was the cheesey spring they give you with the kit to keep it open wouldn't spring up after a month. I would bend it out and it would work for another time or two.........
I've had these on a couple of my baggers and have one on my '02 now. Have to agree with the cheesey spring/tab problem. What I did was got another spring/tab ($.99) and put on the other side.. Works great.

o~\o

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Had one on my 1999, didn't like it too hard to open. Took the advice from a previous thread and just turned the locking mechanism 180 degrees so the tab doesn't catch. So all I do is push down on the bottom of the door and it opens! And no it doesn't ever bounce open while riding.

Could never figure out why the FL's are only H-D bikes that have a locking gap cap.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Mtclassic said:
all you have to do is push the button in and push on the bottom of the door and it flips open. You don't even need the spring for it to work. mine is over 3 years old no problems.
Same here, if it is having a hard time popping open push down at the opposite side of the cover near your boy's.

Same thing with turning the stock lock cylinder around (wish I had learned of that first) just push down on the rear side of the lid as it is behind the hinge point of the cover.

:thumbsup: -2$en#e-

·
Registered
251 Posts
No need to go thru the trouble of rotating it 180 degrees and leaving it inoperable.Just find ANY barrel key and file off the tab that prevents the key from being taken out when in the unlock position.And yes I said any barrel key..Harley makes this lock able to open with ANY key in case your out of fuel without your keys..I used an old alarm key.
Now with the tab filed off just open your fuel door and remove the key.Now the door is always unlocked and can be opened by pushing on the bottom or just the force of your finger pulling it up from the front of the cap by the lock.It does the same as rotating the lock 180 degrees BUT..if your in a area where you think someone might sugar you tank..like at the girlfriends house and you wife finds out..or her husband..you can still put the key in and lock it.
Just my 2 cents worth-2$en#e-
Posttal AKA Ralph

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Have a new 08 ultra. there is a new push button release for the gas door. the button is large enough for it to be opened with your gloves on. It doesnot have a way to lock it. the spring that pushes the lid up is a replacement for the hinge. It works great and is the same price. looks cool .

·
112 Posts
bobartz said:
Have a new 08 ultra. there is a new push button release for the gas door. the button is large enough for it to be opened with your gloves on. It doesnot have a way to lock it. the spring that pushes the lid up is a replacement for the hinge. It works great and is the same price. looks cool .
bobartz,
do you know the part number?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts